Calf cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may be right on this. Everything I take for the high potassium levels also has magnesium and other minerals.

For what it's worth, I've found that I get them less if I stretch out a little and massage the calf muscle a little before diving. For me, anyway, that seems to do more than anything I drink or eat.

If there's magnesium deficiency you can also go for dark chocolate, avocado, cashews, tuna and a handfull other foods.
Just wish vodka would be a source also.

Your best bet is putting the fins on and using them for 2 or 3 hours per week, minerals only go so far.

The answer to magnesium-deficient vodka is Berocca the morning after.

Reactions: Ana
For what it's worth, I've found that I get them less if I stretch out a little and massage the calf muscle a little before diving. For me, anyway, that seems to do more than anything I drink or eat.
If you think that this is due to not exercising the calves enough, you could start running or do calves exercises followed by stretching ?

please forgive me if you have already tried that or if this is not helpful

I think finning/kicking "up/down" uses too much calf. If you press against the water similar to how you press against a bicycle peddle when you stand out of the seat (mountain biking uphill for instance).

That motion works very well to get a LOT of power into your fin without the "kicking" that taxes your calves.

Another vote here for bananas and g2. I don’t usually like the sugar free version but I find myself enjoying it more before dives. Not sure why

I think finning/kicking "up/down" uses too much calf. If you press against the water similar to how you press against a bicycle peddle when you stand out of the seat (mountain biking uphill for instance).

That motion works very well to get a LOT of power into your fin without the "kicking" that taxes your calves.

I wish it was me who came up with this one, but it was some other SB regular. Enjoy:

Flutter kick is the bicycle kick done wrong

..so are you guys saying that using the big leg muscles for kicking with a straight out leg is wrong, but kicking with just the lower portion of the leg below the knee is correct?

But how come we have a full thread about calf cramps.

If I need to really go I have to use the full leg, the kick bellow the knee tends to be for very slow multidirectional progress. Straight ahead against current or just looking for speed would be a fail for me without the thigh muscles.

Back
Top Bottom