Why 2 buckles on waist belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcin.a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, sorry for this probably stupid question, but it drives me nuts: Why does the diver on this video from AGIR have two buckles on her waist strap? Is it an extension or what? The twin buckle config is visible between 0:40 and 1:01 min.

OK, sorry for this probably stupid question, but it drives me nuts: Why does the diver on this video from AGIR have two buckles on her waist strap? Is it an extension or what? The twin buckle config is visible between 0:40 and 1:01 min.
It is to prevent the canister on the right side from sliding. See the end of the video.

It is to prevent the canister on the right side from sliding. .
I don't use a light canister but have plenty of other items on my one piece belt (weight pouch/smb/VHF radio/PPD's/etc)
If it's big and heavy I'll use a welded 'D' ring to hold it solid in position on the belt. Why use a big buckle that takes up tons of space ?

I don't use a light canister but have plenty of other items on my one piece belt (weight pouch/smb/VHF radio/PPD's/etc)
If it's big and heavy I'll use a welded 'D' ring to hold it solid in position on the belt. Why use a big buckle that takes up tons of space ?

Much quicker to take on and off than a triglide, can even be done with one hand. More convenient on the surface, and potentially safer if you ever need to ditch something at depth.

In addition to what @doctormike said, the standard hogarthian/dir setup there is no D-ring on the right hip, their is only one D-ring on the waste belt and it is on the left hip to clip an spg to. The second belt buckle is able to be quickly and easily adjusted for position of the canister light while diving if the need arises.

Of course, one of the greatest benefits of a BP/W setup is that it can be customized to the diver's needs/wants...just don't tell the DIR guys

-Z

....the standard hogarthian/dir setup there is no D-ring on the right hip....

Toddler diver here and still learning. That much said, no stranger to high risk activities where people’s lives depend on personal equipment and teamwork.

This seems to be a technique and a focal point for enforcing standardization rather than a foundational principle.

Is the “no D-ring on the right hip” codified in a licensing agency’s instructional manual as a fundamental principle?

Those Harpa buckles are slick.

That would save one a lot of money with an existing BP over having to shell out for a whole new OMS SlipStream or Halcyon Cinch system backplate.

At one time canister lights were big and heavy with lead-acid batteries and considered to be ditchable weight. The buckle allowed for that. I've always assumed the "no D-ring on the right side" rule is meant to avoid hanging things there which might trap the long hose but I don't know that I've ever seen it written down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom