Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you need better buddies. I have several buddies I would absolutely trust below 300'.
Didn't say I don't have them just not a lot and as rjack321 says even fewer in cold water.

A buddy may have saved her life, or more quickly alerted others to her difficulty, you just cannot place total trust in your equipment or that the marine world is as safe as walking in a park. No back up and the simplest things can undo you.

...to get to 300ft. deep...
Excellent chart. No coral grows at 300ft there and there's no wreck there. So if it's just sand, then the only thing there is that magic number of 300ft(91m), not 90M, not 95M, but exactly 91M and the 300ft club.

I wonder could you do 4m/min ascent & descent to 218ft on 21%,,,,then a really fast bounce from 218ft to 300ft and back up to 218ft, hoping against tox because everyone's body is different and not a formula. Again speculating...but you don't want to set off alarm bells to the tank fillers that you are going to 300ft solo (big no-no) by requesting a very deep tank mix. So ask for 20% and quietly do the bounce to record the personal best on your computer. Again, just speculating since we don't have the actual ascent and descent graph outputs.

Trouble with the theory of her wanting to join the '300 Club' is that Fiona Sharp was Australian, and we finally fully adopted the Metric system nationwide in 1988.
So she would have originally trained in metres and BAR/kPa and then used the Metric system in her routine OC/RB diving not feet and psi...

Roll the dice often enough and bad numbers come up. There is another exclusive club in the divers' cemetery, you don’t want to join that one, plus too many “incidents” and regulators will come looking.

Excellent chart. No coral grows at 300ft there and there's no wreck there. So if it's just sand, then the only thing there is that magic number of 300ft(91m), not 90M, not 95M, but exactly 91M and the 300ft club.

I wonder could you do 4m/min ascent & descent to 218ft on 21%,,,,then a really fast bounce from 218ft to 300ft and back up to 218ft...

There's still the 300 m swim between there and "on the reef at 80 feet" as per #38

A buddy may have saved her life, or more quickly alerted others to her difficulty, you just cannot place total trust in your equipment or that the marine world is as safe as walking in a park. No back up and the simplest things can undo you.
As in a buddy would have said "have you lost your f$%^ing mind?" after seeing what gasses and how little she brought to the planned dive?

Back
Top Bottom