Quality Dive Operators For Cenote Excursions Near Hyatt Ziva Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HolyDiver54

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

We will be at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun in January for our nephew's wedding and will have some spare time that we would like to use to dive some cenotes. The hotel does not appear to have a dive shoppe on site that we could book an excursion through which is probably just as well as those tend to be overpriced. Therefore, we are looking for a quality dive operator near the resort that we could use to do some diving in local cenotes. We welcome any and all input/recommendations.

Thanks!

You're probably going to have to go to Tulum to get to the cenotes anyway. Take a cab/van/bus/shuttle to Playa Del Carmen and dive with Cenote Experience. One of the best dive ops I have ever dove with anywhere at any price. They may even help arrange transportation. Martin is one of the best divers, leaders, guides, and people I have dove with. You won't be sorry.

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Safe travels,
Jay

I went with a little shop in Playa called Diversity Diving. I booked a few weeks in advance, and they gave me a group rate, confident they'd rustle up enough other customers. When I showed up, I learned that no one else had signed up. They honored the rate they had quoted, and the dive master spent all day just driving me down, accompanying my dives, and driving me back. Such integrity is worth noting.

ProTec has shops in Playa(an hour away) and Tulum(2 hours). They specialize in cenote diving, are professional, and super nice. You would not go wrong with them. I am making another trip with the Tulum shop in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the recommendations. This is why I love ScubaBoard. I will look into all 3 recommended shops. In the meantime, if anyone has additional suggestions, please keep them coming.

Some cenotes require excellent buoyancy skills and are tighter than others. There are some cenotes that are more forgiving as in very limited overhead, and you will usually do your first dive at one of these so your DM/guide can decide where yall should go next. If you have a choice for your first dive, Angelita has a sulphur dioxide layer at the bottom that is like descending into the thickest fog ever. It's only a few feet thick and then you drop back into almost unlimited visability. Its definately a gut check dropping in but one of the coolest dives I've done. I went last and watched Martin and my buddy absolutely disappear inches into the layer.

I don't know if the layer varies from time to time, but it was definately worth doing.

Safe travels,
Jay

I would like to add Under the Jungle and their team. I just returned from 4 days of cenote diving (Oct 2019) and they are in the elite category of dive operators. Enjoy your diving!

You're probably going to have to go to Tulum to get to the cenotes anyway.

That's not true. Tulum is quite far. There are cenotes near playa del carmen. A great shop is Under the Jungle, which is near Puertas Aventuras about 20 minutes south of playa. There are good guide services in playa; it's possible that someone could meet you at the bus station there (it's an hour bus from the Cancun airport) and take you directly to one of the cenotes. I don't know any cave/cavern guiding ops in Cancun.

As I'm sure you've read, cenote diving requires good buoyancy and trim, and even with guides, you are still in an overhead environment and that adds challenges and risks to any dive.

Some popular cenotes closer to playa are Choc Mool and Tajma Ha. Both have excellent cavern lines. Another popular one is Dos Ojos, but that's further south.

Another option MyDeepLife.Com are based out of cancun but an excellent operartion. Few years ago did a angelito an dos ojos coming from cozumel. Pick up should not be a problem
MyDeepLife.Com.

Back
Top Bottom