Why 2 buckles on waist belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with a d ring on the right side as well. But I also don’t have a can light atm

I put a D ring on the right side. I have small weight pockets on each side of the waist band and needed a slide stop. Since I'm already breaking the rules with weight pockets, I figured why not.

I put a D ring on the right side. I have small weight pockets on each side of the waist band and needed a slide stop. Since I'm already breaking the rules with weight pockets, I figured why not.
Why do you think you're "breaking the rules with weight pockets"?

Why do you think you're "breaking the rules with weight pockets"?

I've always got the impression that weight belts and cam band trim weights were the only acceptable DIR/HOG methods....

Halcyon has sold various belt mounted weight pockets for years, and I don't see any mention of them pro or con in the GUE standards. As long as they have no potential for trapping the long hose or dumping the weight accidentally I don't see why they'd be a problem.

I've always got the impression that weight belts and cam band trim weights were the only acceptable DIR/HOG methods....

I took Fundamentals with Beto Nava at the end of August, and we actually dropped the weight belt in favour of a small trim pocket on the left waist strap (threaded on the strap and ziptied to the backplate) and hard weights on the right waist strap (retained by a buckle).

The weights on the right are ditchable if you open the buckle so that you can swim to the surface in the event of a wing failure with full tanks. I imagine that the weight belt isn't used because it's more likely to open itself accidentally and fall off.

I took Fundamentals with Beto Nava at the end of August, and we actually dropped the weight belt in favour of a small trim pocket on the left waist strap (threaded on the strap and ziptied to the backplate) and hard weights on the right waist strap (retained by a buckle).

The weights on the right are ditchable if you open the buckle so that you can swim to the surface in the event of a wing failure with full tanks. I imagine that the weight belt isn't used because it's more likely to open itself accidentally and fall off.

Good to know!

From JJ himself....quoted from his 20th anniversary retrospective note (in 2018) to the dive community.

“The tagline I chose for GUE, “Quest for Excellence”, does not presuppose universal correctness. Rather it is a quest for divers to get the most they can out of their diving and their lives. Likewise, our dedication to a standard approach is not meant to imply that nothing else will work but rather that teams of divers organized to use a common platform will reduce stress, encourage safety and have more fun.”

I think when some of the zealousness comes into play it’s a result of GUE adherents who have never been part of a strong team environment (where lives depend on equipment and teamwork) and their dedication to complying with some common practices overcomes their real experience.

I’m confident that adding a D-ring to my right waist band is not going to make me a sub-optimal diver. I don’t have any problem deploying (and stowing) my 2m hose and my desire to fly a balanced set of deco bottles outweighs my need to rigidly adopt a standard without the benefit of thought, rehearsal and experience.

Back
Top Bottom