Diving in December (Hawaii vs Grand Cayman)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I'm starting to think about planning a dive trip during the first week of December. I only have a week off from work and am coming from California. I prefer warm water diving, have done somewhere around 25 dives and haven't been diving in a few years so consider myself a rusty diver and will likely have to do a refresher course before I start. I was thinking about going to Hawaii (either Kauai or Hawaii since I've already done Maui a couple of times) or somewhere in the Caribbean (Grand Cayman?), but I've been reading that the weather can be iffy during December (windy in the Caribbean, choppy seas in Hawaii). Any opinions on which location would give the best warm water, calm diving out of the options I mentioned, or is there another place I should consider given my short time frame?

Can't speak to Hawaii, but December in Cayman might bring some wind and a bit of chop, but nothing extreme and the diving and visibility should be fine. We often wake to an ocean that looks like a lake on the SMB/West side, and there is usually at least one side of the island where the boats can go to minimize the wind and chop if needed. The water temps should be 80+ , the air temp will go from mid-seventies at night to mid-eighties in the day,

You can get a great idea of the weather in December (or any other time of the year) here:
Weather in December 2018 in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands

I haven't been to Hawaii yet, either, but I've been to GC in early January which I'm guessing is similar to December. I echo what mi000ke said. It's hit or miss for getting out to the north wall because of the wind and chop, but the West Bay/Seven Mile Beach area is typically very calm with little current and the water is always warm. West Bay/SMB diving is the easiest enjoyable diving I've encountered which is why we are going back again this January. I need some easy diving after the heavy currents in Indonesia on our last trip!

Concur with both of the above. I have been to both in December and can tell you that water temps in Hawaii in December is not going to be anywhere near as warm as the Caymans. I would look at Grand Cayman west side. I have been there the first week of December and the water temp was low 80's and the west side was glassy smooth.

Been to the Big Island many times in early December. Generally calm conditions and good weather, but with only a week, there's always a chance that a storm or couple of days of elevated seas will keep you out of the water. Hawaii is warm compared to California, but not like the Caribbean. I always dive with a 2/3mm fullsuit. Kauai would probably be even a tad cooler than the Big Island, and more likely for the IMO better dives on the north shore to be out of the question.

Give Grand Cayman a try, the water is always warmer than Hawaii. In my opinion, the diving off Grand Cayman generally eclipses the diving in Hawaii. Of course, they are complimentary in some ways, glad I have made 4 trips to Hawaii. Even if conditions preclude diving on Cayman's north wall, there are many great dive sites on the west side.

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone! I've always wanted to go to Grand Cayman, and it seems like it's a better choice for that time of year. Sounds like there is a chance of wind or choppy seas, but overall most of you have had positive experiences in GC. Given the high cost of the trip, should I consider going in a different month (my next vacation is in May, but I understand that is the rainy season), or should the December weather/water conditions not be a big enough deal to deter me?

Awesome, thanks for the input everyone! I've always wanted to go to Grand Cayman, and it seems like it's a better choice for that time of year. Sounds like there is a chance of wind or choppy seas, but overall most of you have had positive experiences in GC. Given the high cost of the trip, should I consider going in a different month (my next vacation is in May, but I understand that is the rainy season), or should the December weather/water conditions not be a big enough deal to deter me?
If you are going the first week of December, you should be able to get similar pricing to May. Diving and food costs are pretty static and are not normally "seasonal". Accommodations can vary in price and availability. Are you traveling solo or with someone else that you can share accommodations or a package with?

should I consider going in a different month (my next vacation is in May, but I understand that is the rainy season), or should the December weather/water conditions not be a big enough deal to deter me?

I would definitely go December rather than May. The weather gets a bit steamy by the end of April. We usually make our exodus north around that time. But the water will be in the mid to upper 80s by May, if you like diving really warm water.

We are on Maui, flying home tomorrow. We dove only two days this week, once to Molokini (inside) and today to Lanai - Cathedral 2 and Fish Rock. Conditions were good with water temp consistently 80 degs. This will be my last diving in Hawaii. The diving is mediocre, and expensive, as is everything else in the islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom