Does GoPro have color adjust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paralenz is a great idea but the software implementation has limitations. once you get to a certain point, lights are really the only option. even with the magenta filter on the gopro, it still needs a decent amount of ambient light to look good.

i would get a tray and the biggest lights you can. i currently use a hero 6 black and some no name aliexpress lights.

gopro + lights > paralenz with no lights

paralenz is a great idea but the software implementation has limitations. once you get to a certain point, lights are really the only option. even with the magenta filter on the gopro, it still needs a decent amount of ambient light to look good.

i would get a tray and the biggest lights you can. i currently use a hero 6 black and some no name aliexpress lights.

gopro + lights > paralenz with no lights

So if I added lights, would I not need color filters?

yes, you use either or generally. that is why the backscatter flip is nice to have so you can switch between having the filter on or off depending if you are shooting wide beyond the usable distance of your lights.

If you are otherwise happy with the camera, just find a cheap filter and hold it on with a rubber band if you need to. You can buy all sorts of filter materials on Amazon and cut them to size yourself.

There's no doubt that a recent GoPro or Paralenz is a better camera, but if the only thing pushing you to upgrade is so you can get a filter to fit the housing, there are a lot of cheaper solutions.

IMHO, a decent filter appropriately matched to the conditions will do a better job than almost any in-camera or post processing compensation. The filter will reduce the blues and greens, restoring some balance. While that lowers the overall brightness, the camera can compensate for that and get a proper exposure, within reason, of a color corrected scene or something close to it.

Making adjustments after the fact to an unfiltered image is more limited because you're stuck with the exposure. When you try to boost reds and tone down blues and greens, there just isn't as much to work with.

I do really like the camera. Nice size and connects right up to my BC with a Snappy clip until I want it. It's really the green color on all pics I am trying to get away from. I might buy the filters they have for the enclosure and monkey around with it. I wonder if I can the filter on the inside of the case instead of outside. That should help eliminate any scratches since I only take the camera out to swap out batteries.

Lights are great, but they have a much shorter range than you'd expect. Range, even for powerful lights is measured in just a few feet, at most. Action cams have a very wide field of view, so the lights need to as well. So, it's nice to be able to remove the filter for closer range subject that you can light and put it back on for shots of the reef.

Green cast is totally normal and not the fault of the camera. You can buy cheap filters for just a few dollars. Worth giving it a shot and experimenting. You can always buy nice later.

To your question, you can also buy gel filters that you cut to size and could install inside the housing. But, you obviously cannot change or remove it during the dive.

Point is that you can play with filters, both gel and the regular external ones, for almost nothing. Probably worth giving it a shot before dropping lots of cash on a new camera.

Makes perfect sense. I have a feeling I will have that green color pretty much everywhere I dive around here, so the filter can more than likely stay on. I've used it as 3 different locations, and they all are green.

The blue/green cast is a function of the fact that water filters out reds and yellows. You'll find it is the case everywhere. It isn't a function of your particular dive sites.

The more water sunlight has to pass through on its way to your camera, the bluer and greener it will get. Add the depth to the distance from your subject and you'll know how much of that water "filter" you are shooting through. In really clear water, you'll get a more bluish tint. In murkier water, particularly freshwater, it manifests more green. Either way, it's the loss of the reds and yellows that is causing the phenomenon.

The filter blocks out some blues and greens. It isn't "adding red and yellow": it's removing the blues/greens to restore some balance to the image, albeit at the cost of reducing the total amount of light. Within reason, your camera can compensate with a longer exposure or higher ISO.

Filters are effective down to modest depths. Past about 60' or 70', depending on conditions, there really aren't enough reds and yellows left for a filter to do any good and at that point you have to rely on lights.

Excellent. I primarily dive about 30-40 feet-ish. So well within that depth range

I'm looking around on Amazon, and they have a bunch of different color Gels, but they are for flashes. Same thing or do I need something specifically for a lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom