DUI Yukon II - Early Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hal

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently, was looking to buy a new drysuit and came across DUI’s Yukon II. Surprisingly, I found almost no user reviews. In the end, took a leap of faith and bought the suit. Having now used it locally (DC area) and then for a week in BC Canada, I offer thoughts.

Bottom line – really like this suit. 4.5 out of 5 stars

I had injured my shoulder a year or so ago, which decreased my mobility. Found that I could not comfortably get into my DUI TLS 350 when using thicker undergarments – even with assistance. As such, looking for a tri-lam suit that was easier to get on and off and provided for more flexible movement.

Donning/doffing. Much easier than the TLS 350. Has a zipper that starts behind the right arm/shoulder and goes down near lower left hip. It is extremely easy to get on even when wearing thick undergarments (Fourth Element Xerotherm and Arctic Expedition). This was true when putting on arms and then head but also when using the pre-attached zip gloves so putting on head first and then arms.

Movement. Very flexible. For diving I’ve used it for so far, has been great. I have not used it with doubles so have not yet been able to check reaching valves.

Staying dry. Oh, yes! Bone dry even after using it in strong current including one dive like a washing machine.

Durability. Too early to tell. Certainly seems very well made. Suppose I’ll find out in a year or two. Had originally been concerned about the plastic rather than metal zipper but found that the plastic one looks solid and is covered, which protects it nicely.

Seals. Comes with pre-installed zip seals – regular wrist and G2 neck. Never had zip seals and really like them. Easy to install/swap out. On recent trip, used both zip gloves and normal latex wrist zip seals with kubi dry gloves. The G2 latex neck seal did irritate my neck. Perhaps just too tight but not sure. On BC trip used bioseal that worked very well. Would have liked to try silicone neck seal but DUI doesn’t yet have G2 silicone neck seals. Hope that comes soon.

Pre-attached boots. Was a bit hesitant about these before getting the suit. No longer. Boots seem solid – perhaps not quite as tough as the rock boots but just fine for walking up and down docks, over rocks, etc. Like that they are easy to get on – saves a step. And like the Velcro strap around ankle/top of foot. Don’t have to worry about air moving to feet.

Price. Picked it up from DRIS for about $1500 w/ price-match. Seems very reasonable when comparing with other suits.

Room for improvement:

Came with one pre-installed pocket on the right thigh. Would have liked one on the left too – had to install

No knee pads – would have liked this added protection. Will have to have added at some point

Hope G2 silicone neck seal comes out – may eliminate need for the bioseal

Thanks for the review. I'm strongly considering and have been frustrated by lake of reviews online. This is very helpful.

@Sevenrider860 The G1/G2 Zip Seals are interchangeable. I own a DUI CF200x made in 2009, currently running G2 dry gloves with G1 wrist cuff. My neck cuff is G2, and mates perfectly with the G1 silicone neck seal I posted above. If OP wanted to email DUI repairs directly, they would respond similarly. Alternatively, OP can walk into his nearest dive op that services drysuits and they would more than likely also provide the same response.

Good to hear this. I have a Yukon I on layaway as a temp suit until I can afford a nice suit. Quality is my biggest concern with these suits.

I
@Sevenrider860 The G1/G2 Zip Seals are interchangeable. I own a DUI CF200x made in 2009, currently running G2 dry gloves with G1 wrist cuff. My neck cuff is G2, and mates perfectly with the G1 silicone neck seal I posted above. If OP wanted to email DUI repairs directly, they would respond similarly. Alternatively, OP can walk into his nearest dive op that services drysuits and they would more than likely also provide the same response.
I have a CF200 with G1 neck seal and a 30/30 with G2 neck seal. The G2 design was released in mid-2013 and is over 100mm larger in circumference and has a single lock design. The G1 and G2 neck seals are not interchangeable.

Agree the OP should call DUI to get an accurate response from DUI.

For those that wander across this post as a guest/member of the board...I am merely posting MY experience with DUI Zip Seals. If you are unsure, please contact DUI directly or if you are able, bring your drysuit into your local shop to check fitting. My previous response could potentially be an expensive mistake given I do not own, nor have had hands on a Yukon drysuit.

I have a Yukon drysuit, purchased 2 + years ago. Started leaking along some seams after about 60 dives.

Although the suit was out of warranty, my LDS sent it into DUI and they didn't charge me for the repairs, although it still cost $85 for leak testing and about $80 for shipping round trip from NJ to San Diego.

I regret buying the suit, it seemed a good deal when I got it (I got a trade in a 20 year old DUI Norseman, which was basically aquaseal and patches.) I don't think it's going to last 20 years like my first DUI. I wish I had spent a little more and got a better suit.

The nylon trilam will not hold do-it-yourself kneepads that I glued on with aquaseal, they keep peeling off. I have to re-glue them at least once a year.

My DUI Yukon suit started leaking after 20 dives. Once I fix a leak they just seem to keep coming back. DUI charges a arm and a leg for shipping, repairs, and the leak test.
I don’t think I’ll buy a DUI drysuit next time, I’ll likely move to santi.
D6189E64-C2B3-4A5B-B4DB-FEB2DA4B1797.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom