7mm Fullsuit time - Deep 6 or Waterproof W4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MrBigfins & @loosenit2 ,

No, Hijack. I almost put the Hollis NeoTek in the thread originally as it was hovering in the 'different, but maybe' category. A couple of the guys that I was diving with last weekend have and like them. Price is in the same category (unlike Waterproof's Semi-Dry at $800+ :eek:). The biggest negative is no ankle/wrist zippers. The hood is a pro and con - good for limiting water ingress, but bad from a surface-comfort perspective.

If I didn't already have (well, expect to eventually "have") a DrySuit, I'd be considering the NeoTek. I think a good "standard" 7mm better bridges the gaps between my 3mm fullsuit; 5mm short-leg, long-sleeve, step-in jacket; and Fusion DS.

So I agree, @LandonL D6 7mm vs. NeoTek and W4 7mm - Go ...:wink: feel free to toot the D6 horn!

guess @LandonL isn't going to offer us any more pros to the d6 wetsuit.

guess @LandonL isn't going to offer us any more pros to the d6 wetsuit.

I have been a bit busy, still at a UHMS conference.

Not to hijack thread but I am In the market too had been strongly considering Hollis semi-dry. Would love to hear what you think are the D6s advantages over the Hollis.

I have never used the Hollis so I will refrain from commenting on that product and focus on what I think ours has to offer. See my notes below :)

So I agree, @LandonL D6 7mm vs. NeoTek and W4 7mm - Go ...:wink: feel free to toot the D6 horn!

Honestly the suit we made is a great option. The supplier we used for the suit literally congratulated us in the meeting for making the most expensive suit they have ever produced for a contract. That says something since they control about 70% of the neoprene market.

The suit is made from high-grade neoprene, with a soft inner liner, and reinforcement at the stitching joints. The panels stitching is covered in a hermetic sealant so water exchange doesn't happen though the seams, and the ankles and wrists have gaskets to limit flow. We have kevlar reinforcement in the knees, crotch, and shoulders, as well as small upgrades like a velcro spot to hold the pull strap, as well as reflective spots on the wrists for night visibility at the surface, and anti-slip pads for dive computers. We also have built in pockets that are slightly angled forward to where your hands naturally rest, that has the benefit of avoiding being in the way for side mount divers. Plus the zippers at the ankles and wrists on the 7mm make entry/exit significantly easier.

At the end of the day the ultimate decision is really yours, however we hope you will pick us. Either way, I wish you the best in whichever you guys decide on!

Thanks for the reply...really did want to hear from you hence my prompting.

Plus the zippers at the ankles and wrists on the 7mm make entry/exit significantly easier

this would appear to be a significant advantage over the Hollis. The little bits you mention about quality of construction, reflective bits, and reinforced points might also be an advantage.

The panels stitching is covered in a hermetic sealant so water exchange doesn't happen though the seams, and the ankles and wrists have gaskets to limit flow.

What makes this different from a semi-dry? In other words why do you not call it a semi-dry? Is it all semantics or are the additional seals in the forearms, calves, and torso in other semi-dry's an important point in what the product is named?

On another note I truly hope your growth assessments allow to you reach scales of production where you can stretch out to different colors in the future. I have your blue regulators and like them very much, but the orange (while a great branding anchor) is just so orange.

What makes this different from a semi-dry? In other words why do you not call it a semi-dry? Is it all semantics or are the additional seals in the forearms, calves, and torso in other semi-dry's an important point in what the product is named?

The zipper on the back of ours isn't sealed like those on a semi-dry. You do get water exchange along the spine. So yes, technically a 'semi-dry' has more sealing. However I find the limit on flow to our suit more than adequate for most of my diving.

On another note I truly hope your growth assessments allow to you reach scales of production where you can stretch out to different colors in the future.

As do I, but orange is our primary brand color :)

I suggest you also look at the Waterproof Combat SD semi-dry. It is a great suit and i have been diving it since turning my Fusion back over to the shop for warranty replacement.

I wear a rashguard under the Combat SD and come out of the water dry as can be from the waist up. I would be nearly completely dry in it except I fold the ankle seals outwards instead of inwards, otherwise the air trapped in the suit can't evacuate and I get stuck in the surface....as it stands I either do a little somersault or duck-dive to get my ankles up above the rest of me for the air to vent. When I get out of the water after a dive only my legs are wet.

-Z

The zipper on the back of ours isn't sealed like those on a semi-dry. You do get water exchange along the spine. So yes, technically a 'semi-dry' has more sealing. However I find the limit on flow to our suit more than adequate for most of my diving.
Thanks @LandonL , that is the kind of info I was looking for.

I suggest you also look at the Waterproof Combat SD semi-dry. It is a great suit and i have been diving it since turning my Fusion back over to the shop for warranty replacement.

I wear a rashguard under the Combat SD and come out of the water dry as can be from the waist up. I would be nearly completely dry in it except I fold the ankle seals outwards instead of inwards, otherwise the air trapped in the suit can't evacuate and I get stuck in the surface....as it stands I either do a little somersault or duck-dive to get my ankles up above the rest of me for the air to vent. When I get out of the water after a dive only my legs are wet.

-Z
The WP Cowmbat SD runs $899. Double what we've been talking about. I would certainly consider it if I didn't already have Fusion DrySuit (wet version :wink::mad::confused:).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom