Weigh system for BP/W

Preferred BP/W weight system?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at getting a weigh system for my BP/W setup. Currently diving with a weight belt with hard weights, don't really enjoy at all. I have decided I want to go to either integrated weights or a weight belt with pockets and soft weights. Any thoughts and recommendations in choosing one over the other?

Im having trouble finding some decent weight integrated systems for my BP/W. I am looking for a system that is small and lightweight. I have been looking at XDeep medium weight pockets which hold 6lb in each. On reviews they don't seem to have a stiff insert and are a pain to get into the holder. Any other systems that are small and effective?

And also as a side note how does one in the future attach a canister light with the pockets? Or do you need the slide on pockets and not the ones that bolt onto the backplate?

Check out the Zeagle Zip-Touch pockets: Zip Touch Weight System

It does not use inserts for hard weights. You top load throught the zipper. To do an emergency dump, you pull out and down on the red toggle handles, and the whole bottom of the pocket opens up to allow the weights to drop.

Because of the vertical orientation, they only take about 6" of belt space each.

You should differentiate between integrated ditchable weights versus integrated fixed weights (like on the cam band)

i have a oms iq lite and i put ditch weight pockets on the front and i use 5 lb steel shot(soft ) weights with 4 cam band that can hold 3lb soft weights .for diving dry suit and can easily be removed for when i go tropic

DUI, Seasoft and a few others make weight harness if you want a lot of weight these work well. I use weight pockets and make my harness to work with them by using a separate waist belt, “T” bars to attach the shoulder harness to the belt. With a one piece harness “hog” set up you really can’t have much weight on the belt part unless you add the weights after donning the rig.

I have incredibly sinkie legs and prefer weight above my waist, right now I’m using some salvaged Zeagle pockets that are like those shown above but were made as back trim pockets for a B/C and they can hold a lot of weight where it does me the most good.

I use a weight belt with my BP/W for ditchable weight, but I limit it to around 10#, with the rest in trim pockets on the rig, the belt also uses pockets, but I use hard weights, as I have lots and the 7mm wet suit is more than enough padding. Since I can't choose all three, I'll have to pass on the poll.

Bob

I've used a weight belt with pockets for the past fifteen years. They don't last as long as a simple nylon belt and hard weights, but it's easier to add or remove weights if needed. I dive a balanced rig, so I can easily swim up at any point in the dive without ditching weight. If for any reason I needed to I could unzip the pockets and ditch a little at a time, or ditch the entire belt at the surface.

Im still experimenting with mine.

Currently have 8lbs in 2 pockets behind hip D-rings, pockets are velcro and clips (Halcyon iirc), I don't trust velcro alone. Plus 2 lbs in XS scuba V weight pouch in backplate recess.

I'm not 100% sold on this configuration yet.
I can feel the 2lbs in plate on my spine. The pockets are ditchable but not easily, unless i mount them upside down which I am hesitant to do.

I may go back to my pocketed weight belt, but then there is the over/under crotch strap issue.

I didn't answer the poll because I haven't decided on a final configuration.

I may even end up putting some on the cam bands maybe 4 lbs and leaving 4 lbs ditchable somewhere but I need to do more trial and error, and weighing pro's and cons of each configuration.
But that is the advantage of BP&W you can configure it exactly how you want.

This is cold water 8/6/5 wet, 7/5 hooded vest, steel tanks.

Put the weight belt on first, then the crotch strap. You don't want to lose your weight belt if the buckle opens during the dive. If you needed to ditch it, it's as simple as opening your harness buckle, then your weight belt. Ditching a weight belt underwater is asking for an embolism, which is why I prefer a balanced rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom