Wetsuit thoughts for Red Sea diving in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennilee913

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Board!

1st post and looking for some feedback on thoughts for a wetsuit for diving in the Red Sea in March. The water temp is an average of 73 F. Will be on a liveaboard so 3-4 dives/day.

I get cold easily and have been reading recommendations of 5mm suits for those who get cold easily. For context, I need a dry or semidry to dive in California. I wear a 3mm long or a full SharkSkin suit for warm water diving.

I don't own a 5mm and would prefer not to buy a new suit.

Do people feel a 3mm long over a full Sharkskin suit would suffice to keep me warm? Or should I just cough it up and buy a 5mm to add to the collection?

Thank you!

Last time when I went to the Red Sea in March I used a 7mm wetsuit. The first dive on a day was ok. But we got cold (ok, not warm) winds and you could not warm yourself enough between the dives.

Next time when I go to egypt in March I will use the Drysuit.

Go dry or go 7mm. Bring a hood. The 5mm might not be enough for 3-4 dives a day for many days in a row unless it’s a newer suit and a semi dry design if you run cold. I fell in love with Probe Frogskin and wear it under my wetsuit sometimes. It is superior to Sharkskin and Lavacore. It doesn’t bag out underwater, is fitted, and the fleece inside is warmer. That fleece lining dries within 10 minutes so you aren’t putting on a wet thing. It’s magical.

Surface conditions in March aren’t that warm and the intervals will also get you. I just came back from a dive trip elsewhere and had temps ranging from 67-84 with most dives in the low to mid 70’s water temperature wise. Conditions were warmer than what you will have in the Red Sea so I would be on the side of caution.

I was a bit cold diving 3 times per day in a 5mm. Bring something warm for the surface intervals. Another diver had a warm down sweater that some of us envied! My recommendation would be to get a good 5mm with a top quality hooded vest.

However, if you dive dry, then bring that gear.

Have fun!

GJS

Hello Board!

1st post and looking for some feedback on thoughts for a wetsuit for diving in the Red Sea in March. The water temp is an average of 73 F. Will be on a liveaboard so 3-4 dives/day.

I get cold easily and have been reading recommendations of 5mm suits for those who get cold easily. For context, I need a dry or semidry to dive in California. I wear a 3mm long or a full SharkSkin suit for warm water diving.

I don't own a 5mm and would prefer not to buy a new suit.

Do people feel a 3mm long over a full Sharkskin suit would suffice to keep me warm? Or should I just cough it up and buy a 5mm to add to the collection?

Thank you!

I would suggest you to get 5mm full wetsuit with 2mm hooded vest. That's what I'm going to wear over there in 2 months. I'll be on Red Sea Aggressor 2 for a week to the southern part of the Red Sea in December 21-28, 2019.

For reference, I was in Banda Sea last month and diving around 75-79F sea for 3-4 times / day in 9 days. I wore 2mm shorty over 3mm full wetsuit with hood & rashguard and still felt cold. In September 2018, I dove in 65-68F in Channel Island, Californa with 7mm & hood for 3 dives / day for 2 days and still felt a bit cold.

I second the dry suit recomendation. It's the combination of water temperature and the usually windy conditions that get you. You do not need lots of undergarment, I usually only wear a thin base layer.

Was there last year in March. Was in a dry suit. Everyone else on the boat was in wetsuits and cold. Would spring for a new suit or take the dry suit if you have one.

Hello everyone.

I appreciate all of the thoughtful replies and recommendations! Looks like I'll be in the market for a new suit. :)

Good call on packing well for the boat. The last liveaboard experience I had was in the Maldives, so the packing was much easier.

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom