First smb opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the 6' model (older) - no issues and has all the features listed previously. I've added a pull tab to the velcro to make it easier to get on the end but other than that it is stock.

I have this one:
Dive Alert Surface Marking Buoy w/ Spool Pocket - Orange { 3.75 ft | 1.14 m } | Dive Gear Express®

You can either inflate it orally or with BC hose. It's just under 4 feet long; I will probably get one that's a little longer someday, but I wanted one that was easy to inflate and kit up. It is my first SMB -- I taught myself how to deploy it -- so I wanted something easy. It works well unless there's a lot of chop, but my diving seems like yours - mostly warmer weather diving and typically calmer seas with light waves possibly. I dive in Cozumel frequently and wanted something to mark my position after a drift dive.

I also did not want an SMB requiring regulator/octo inflation. From what I read and have since experienced, oral inflation creates the least amount of buoyancy change, as the diver is simply transferring air from lungs to SMB. I usually deploy at about 35-40 feet, and purge air from my BC so that I am a little negative upon deployment. Here is a video explaining the benefits of oral inflation:

I never understood how that works. If you want to use your BC hose, you need to unhook it from the power inflator, under pressure, at depth, and then hook it to the SMB valve? Then what, do you need to rapidly disconnect it from the SMB before it over fills, and reconnect it to your BCD as you're deploying the SMB?

Or do you carry a second inflator hose on your first stage specifically for that purpose?

I never understood how that works. If you want to use your BC hose, you need to unhook it from the power inflator, under pressure, at depth, and then hook it to the SMB valve? Then what, do you need to rapidly disconnect it from the SMB before it over fills, and reconnect it to your BCD as you're deploying the SMB?

Or do you carry a second inflator hose on your first stage specifically for that purpose?
My understanding is there are 2 options. One you can use the LP hose from your power inflator bc. Depending on the smb it will connect to the oral valve and allow a fill without physically being permanently connected. So you fill and it pops right off. The other method which is what I used was using the exhaust valve on the power inflator. So I just let some air out of my bc through the power inflator exhaust valve and that worked. It released just enough air to get the smb going.

you can use the LP hose from your power inflator bc..

Ok, so no issue removing the hose from the SMB, but you've still got to remove and reconnect the LP hose to the BCD inflator, under pressure, while holding the SMB and spool. Sounds rather difficult.

Ok, so no issue removing the hose from the SMB, but you've still got to remove and reconnect the LP hose to the BCD inflator, under pressure, while holding the SMB and spool. Sounds rather difficult.
It’s really not hard to do. I’ve had to remove a LP inflator from a buddy who’s was leaking air while diving. I popped it off and popped it back on. Took all of maybe 5 seconds. Very easy.

Sounds rather difficult
It should be an OW level skill

I do have dive friends, who've simply added an additional (longer) LP inflator hose for their dsmbs

I agree that some bottom fill dsmbs can be problematic to get teh reg into if they're narrow - Mine are a wide dsmb and easy to fill even for students

My go to is a AP self sealing DSMB with inflation cylinder But they're not cheap. I'm on my second - I get about 600 launches out of them before the seams start to give. But they are brilliant, easy to use and are always fully inflated when they hit the surface (from any depth)

It’s really not hard to do. I’ve had to remove a LP inflator from a buddy who’s was leaking air while diving. I popped it off and popped it back on. Took all of maybe 5 seconds. Very easy.

Yes but you had a better angle to approach it, and you probably didn't do it with one hand while holding an inflated SMB and spool in the other.

I do have dive friends, who've simply added an additional (longer) LP inflator hose for their dsmbs

I could see that being the way to go if you're deploying an SMB on almost every dive.

Yes but you had a better angle to approach it, and you probably didn't do it with one hand while holding an inflated SMB and spool in the other.
You are correct. I was only dealing with the hose itself. That being said you wouldn’t be holding an inflated smb and the hose at the same time. The smb inflator is a lp male fitting without the notches to actually lock into place so you just slide the lp hose on and it give a quick shot and the smb glides away. Your not holding it and it’s not attached to the lp hose either. Idk if this makes sense to you or not.

Back
Top Bottom