Newby computer, what to get?

So which simply computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have her go play with them at the store, see which one she has the easiest time reading and is easiest for her to navigate.

P.S
Then break down and get the perdix

Have her go play with them at the store, see which one she has the easiest time reading and is easiest for her to navigate.

P.S
Then break down and get the perdix
We’re quite limited here to choice of LDSs
Love the Perdix comment. They are very smooth and reformed

and I’ll certainly look at some of the ‘recommendations’ Second hand.

I'll go against your premise and recommend an AI computer for the added safety of seeing your air supply on one screen and showing you the air time, which is not that easy to predict especially for a newbie.

Price is the main consideration when it come to computers. You can spend well over $1500 for an air integrated or as little as $140 for a simple wrist model. I got a Mares Puck for less than $140 from E-Bay with a full factory warranty for my granddaughters to use. So there`s my vote. You just need a SPG and you`re set. Plus it can go Nitrox if needs be.

Since you don't dive together, and she stays shallow, I would go with the Zoop. She won't be bothered by its conservative profile. Buy it used. You will be able to sell it for the same price if she decides to go with a different computer.

+1 on this....

I went with my original feeling and that was also echoed here by a few people.
I went for the Zoop as it looks to be simple enough with everything on the main display. I bought a secondhand one of that well known auction site for $70. I also looked at everything else mentioned and went for the popular option.
If she doesn't like it then I'll roll it over and try something different.
AI would be nice but out of budget (we did discuss it and she's happy with a SPG.). Perdix would also be perfect but hard to justify for her use.

She's actually bottom left in the profile pic.

Hi,
I am considering to get my first computer.
About me: I have OWD certificate, planning to get AOWD at some point, but I live in freaking cold place and diving will stay to few-times-per-year-on-vacation mode. I may want to visit deeper objects (aowd) or do few night dives, but no plan for nitrox, etc.

my requirements:
* Watch style (preferable).
* Cheap. No price ceilings, but I don't want to spend for something I will not use.
* Basic scuba.
* Liberal algorithm is preferred as it is easy to change it to safer side.
* Freediving mode.
** changing freediving dive trigger depth to shallow would be very useful for pool training sessions (1,5m/5s is somehow useless in my pool as half pool is 1.6m deep).
* I want to export dives to computer, so it will be Bluetooth, diy cable or cable added to price.

I will go to Egypt in two weeks, so I would like to buy it quite fast. For now I have this list (with local ~prices)

AquaLung i200c (2450) - bluetooth, 4 buttons
Oceanic VEO 2.0 (2335) - two algorithms
AquaLung i100(1500) - good price.

Should I go for i200c?, is it good (quality, and price/performance wise)?
Any model I missed? Anyone can explain logbook for freedive mode? For scuba it has only 24 dives, that's not a problem. But does freedive counts here or separate list?

Or... dedicated cheap freediving computer and zoop?

The DeepBlu Cosmiq is nice and simple. Good graphics. Nice divelog app.

Should I go for i200c?, is it good (quality, and price/performance wise)?
Any model I missed? Anyone can explain logbook for freedive mode? For scuba it has only 24 dives, that's not a problem.

My wife has the AL i200 (not c) and likes it. Simple but has enough functions for recreational holiday diving. You may be able to find a bargain as it's been superseded by the 'c' model.
Also, I had a Mares Smart which I was happy with and probably better than the i200 overall. The only reason I changed my computer is cos I wanted AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom