Weigh system for BP/W

Preferred BP/W weight system?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put the weight belt on first, then the crotch strap. You don't want to lose your weight belt if the buckle opens during the dive. If you needed to ditch it, it's as simple as opening your harness buckle, then your weight belt. Ditching a weight belt underwater is asking for an embolism, which is why I prefer a balanced rig.

That's all well and good, unless you are in trouble on the surface for whatever reason, lets say a medical issue, and someone helping you tries to ditch your weight. If they are not familiar with a BP&W with crotch strap now you have a weight belt hanging from your crotch strap that they think has gone.

I have used the Buoyancy calculator xls and am working towards a "balanced rig" using that as a guide, but with only 12 dives on BP&W half cold water steel tank, half warm aluminum tank, there is a lot of experimenting to find the preferred set up for each situation IMUneducatedO.

For wet summer, I've just got a couple of trim pockets on my cam band

For Dry when I need more my other rig has these Dive Rite weight pockets on the waist strap - They have inner pockets, which you can release and hand up if needed before boarding a boat

upload_2019-10-31_0-8-9.png

That's all well and good, unless you are in trouble on the surface for whatever reason, lets say a medical issue, and someone helping you tries to ditch your weight. If they are not familiar with a BP&W with crotch strap now you have a weight belt hanging from your crotch strap that they think has gone.
That's why the weight belt goes on first. They would have to open the harness buckle first to get to the weight belt.

Screenshot_20191030-152112_Chrome.jpg I use the Hog pockets and have them mounted on the waist behind the D rings basically up next to the plate and far back and they work great. Plus a small weight pouch on the cam bands. In the ocean with a rash gaurd they just stay empty, could use them as a pocket if needed. Fresh water with a 7mil they easily hold the weight.

That's why the weight belt goes on first. They would have to open the harness buckle first to get to the weight belt.

Well because of my long torso my harness waist belt sits at or above my belly button. My weight belt which I am not using right now, but when I did, sits lower, above my hips. So it would be easy to get to without undoing the harness.

In any event I am still experimenting and weighing all pros and cons of various weight set ups.
I have not settled on a preferred configuration of weights yet. I have yet to try some on the cam bands too.

Right now I am leaning toward spreading them out in approx thirds. 3 lb easily ditchable (belt) 3lb ditchable but less easily (waist pockets) 4 lbs not ditchable (plate or cam bands) but I have yet to try this configuration.

Thanks for your help.

I use and prefer a comb of a weight belt and weight pockets on my harness, the exception is using my steel 96 I use only the weight pockets.

@Maxbottom, when using the belt and pockets comb the belt would indeed require unbuckling the harness. However the weight pockets contain enough ditch able weight to get an ascent started if needed.

A pair of Single Weight Pocket — XS Scuba on my waist strap.

BTW, there's 2 notable differences between the DGX Trim Weight Pocket (each) | Dive Gear Express® and XS Scuba trim pockets. The first is that the opening is on the side for the DGX (for a horizontal band like a waist or tank band). I prefer the top loading on the XS. It doesn't matter underwater, but I'd be a bit nervous about something catching the flap above water and dumping the weight on my toes. The other is that the part of the DGX that slides over the strap is split so you can use a belt slide between them to lock the pocket in place (see the picture in the link).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom