Suggestions for diving in/near US east coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I'm Sunanda, a newbie on this forum. I recently moved to US east coast and I'm trying to figure out some good budget spots to go diving during thanksgiving break. I'm a PADI certified Rescue Diver, and have logged over 100 dives. I'm currently looking at Puerto Rico and Jamaica mostly, but I would love some specificities for those places, and also recommendations for other places!!

Nice to be part of a dive community! Thanks in advance!

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

That's getting a little late in the year, but if you cut down to the 'When Boats Go Out' section, I copied a post from Tortuga James (who would know!) and turns out November people are still going on.

Staying at the Dive Lodge and diving with Olympus Dive Center might offer you some good, fairly low-cost overall diving.

Richard.

Catch a flight to Ft Lauderdale, FL and dive the Pompano Beach area. Lots of wrecks and reefs, easy travel, and short boat rides. Stay right at the marina and do nothing but eat, sleep, and dive.

Thanks everyone. I've put it in my list for the future. This time, I decided to go to Puerto Rico. Anyone have recommendations in Puerto Rico, for areas to go to, and especially dive centers?

I only did 2 dives there on a cruise stop many years ago. From the forum:

2014 - Diving in Puerto Rico
2015 - Puerto Rico Recommendations
2016 - Puerto Rico
2018 - Any info. on decent diving prices in Puerto Rico?
2019 - Puerto Rico Diving

What made Puerto Rico appeal to you? Plan to do much topside, or are you mostly interested in the diving? El Yunque Rainforest is pretty.

You mentioned Jamaica. Haven't done so much as one dive on it, so I'll let you click on 'Community' up top, then 'Search' to get the whole forum, for Jamaica. Spoiler - I get the impression it's not a 'dive destination' and while it might be okay if you're there for other reason and want to dive, too, not a place I'd pick for a dive vacation.

I only did 2 dives there on a cruise stop many years ago. From the forum:

2014 - Diving in Puerto Rico
2015 - Puerto Rico Recommendations
2016 - Puerto Rico
2018 - Any info. on decent diving prices in Puerto Rico?
2019 - Puerto Rico Diving

What made Puerto Rico appeal to you? Plan to do much topside, or are you mostly interested in the diving? El Yunque Rainforest is pretty.

You mentioned Jamaica. Haven't done so much as one dive on it, so I'll let you click on 'Community' up top, then 'Search' to get the whole forum, for Jamaica. Spoiler - I get the impression it's not a 'dive destination' and while it might be okay if you're there for other reason and want to dive, too, not a place I'd pick for a dive vacation.

I decided on Puerto Rico for a many reasons - good prices for tickets, I've always wanted to go, it's close enough. But also because I do want to do stuff topside as well. The rainforest is one of them, and I also want some just-chill-on-the-beach time.

Thanks for the info about Jamaica and the links! I'll check them out.

I know that this is 'Off topic' for you but you did preface your thread with diving "In/near US east coast".

Would you consider local diving? Maclearie Park - Belmar, New Jersey - Park, Sports & Recreation | Facebook

You just might be surprised at what your local sites have to offer...

Ah that's good to know. For the thanksgiving break, I want to do a full trip, and I don't know how local diving would be in this weather, but it's definitely good to know when I just am missing being underwater and can do a quick weekend thing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom