Shark attack off Queensland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One can only hope for a good or at least reasonable recovery!
I don’t think there’s going to be a good recovery, because the shark kept the foot.

I don’t think there’s going to be a good recovery, because the shark kept the foot.

True. No chance of a recovery.... of the foot.

Perhaps a reasonably good medical recover for the patient though :thumb:

That is precisely why I wrote "reasonable". Modern medical aids may make a relatively normal life possible.
They should build a bang stick into his prosthesis.

I couldn't find that in the article. Perhaps you were being humorous?

They should build a bang stick into his prosthesis.

... Or just not trash about in waters with sharks present.

Terrible thing. Reading the article and a comment here, I see a range of 'mixed messages' as views collide. We commonly downplay the risk of shark attack, viewing the general public as paranoid. But if a couple of guys can't wrestle and have some fun in the water least a nearby deadly shark respond by tearing into them, what does that say? After all, whenever you're in the sea a shark could be present. And if it's a large freshwater body that connects to the sea, a bull shark could be present!

Imagine how the general public would react to that mixed message. Feel free to enjoy the beach, have a swim, your odds of suffering a shark attack are almost indescribably minute...but, uh, don't, y'know...splash around too much. 'Cause one might mistake you for a wounded fish and tear your foot off or something. Chill, dude.

The article mentions someone claiming shark culls don't make swimmers safer. I'm no fan of shark culls, and I'm not promoting it here. The truth-seeking literalist in me none-the-less asks 'Is a drop in populations of great whites & tiger sharks, just to name two, not likely to reduce the risk at least a small bit? Even if the risk was extremely low to begin with?'

I'm nowhere near convinced the hypothesized 'gain' in risk reduction is worth seriously cutting down those shark populations, but I wonder what it does for the credibility of that position when someone says something that sounds suspiciously like 'cutting down shark numbers doesn't cut down risk of shark attack?'

Richard.

If you swim in an area that has had 3 or more shark attacks ( with one being fatal) in the last 12 months your chances of getting bitten by a shark are much higher than normal.
I have swum in this area and it gave me the creeps and that was before these attacks occurred.

As Chris has stated, there have been quite a few attacks on the western side of Whitsunday Island (Cid Harbour) over the past year or so. These are all in dirty water where lots of yachts/cruisers anchor overnight. This latest attack is not far away and while it normally has cleaner water, it is so close to Cid Harbour as to be a place not to swim or snorkel.

Back
Top Bottom