Are you a reef-friendly diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

We've all witnessed a diver touching the coral or grabbing marine life... I don't know about you, but this ruins my dive holiday.

To encourage responsible behavior underwater, we've created with my cofounder Michael a reef-friendly diver network.

We feel dive certifications don't say much about the attitude and behaviors underwater. However, people who have dived with you can say whether you're a reef-friendy diver (or not)!

If you like the idea, you can create a profile on our website: www.SeaCrush.com

Would love your feedback on this!
Thank you!

You appear to be a travel agent / booking agency. Please correct me or provide more info on this. I would be interested in learning why you are different (or better).

Can you explain how you promote "reef friendly" diving? I did notice a reference to PADI AOW. Are these divers reef friendly?

I am all for being reef friendly but see no need to join a network

Welcome to ScubaBoard. Since you appear to be a travel agency with specific goals, how do want to achieve this (reef friendliness)?

Noble idea....but, ‘Peer reviewed for reef friendliness’ how is this going to work exactly? ....I see two minor issues:

1) ‘ I was diving in xxx and saw some dude from Omaha touch a starfish...I think his name was Jeff or maybe the other guy was Jeff and he was Colin.....anyway 1* for that guy..don’t dive with him!’
2) ‘I was diving with xxxxx operation and a lady from China was in my group. Her fin touched the reef, so 1* for that operation’
3) what is the impact of someone getting a negative review for buoyancy? Are you going to ban them from any trips?
etc......

I’m just not sure how this is going to be useful....

Let them touch.....if they dont care about it then incurage them to touch....look thats a tiger fish you should touch it.....look its a great white you should touch it.....they will stop touching soon.

OK OK im being a smart butt i will stop

I’m not sure about being reef friendly but when I dive, I go full Godzilla and stomp about. If that doesn’t scratch the itch, I get down with my twinset and practice all my best breakdance moves. Sometimes my twinning bands get hung up on the coral doing a backspin but I just muscle through it. The worm is pretty tough so I save that one for single-tank dives.

Cause a travel agency would be more interested in
  • creating a reef-friendly diver network
  • making a profit
Call me skeptical...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom