Interest in 1/2" straight thread tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all.

I have been in contact with XS Scuba about doing a run of valves for tanks with 1/2" straight pipe thread necks.

As far as I know, only Sportsways and White Stag used this thread but I may be wrong on that. The only tanks that I have with this thread were made by Norris. I have a set of doubles, 50+/- cf and one 72. I have seen some other old steels for sale with the 1/2" valves and they were a little cheaper, I guess because people don't like the weird 1/2" size.

The minimum run would be 30 valves at $80 each.

I have a couple questions to XS about which one of their valves they would make in 1/2" and volume pricing above 30 valves.

They have been very good with responses to my questions and are willing to do a small run of valves.

So... Any interest in these valves that I should continue to pursue this? I have no need for 30 valves myself (I'm in for 4 or 5) but I thought people here in the vintage area, along with divers who like to side mount and or stage old 72's might be interested.

Just to be clear... These are NOT tapered NPT/NGT threads that require teflon tape to seal, I believe they already did a run of those. These would be modern o-ring sealed valves with 1/2" straight threads.

Thanks for your responses. Have a good day.

More info. XS Scuba was going to make these as the pro series with the removable DIN plug.... If there was enough interest.

I have one tank that could use a new valve, but since the price of a 72 is less than $80, im not sure it would be cost effective.. :(

I understand completely. I was hoping that there were enough of these tanks with the 1/2" straight valve that there would be interest for modern DIN compatible valves. Oh well. Probably not going to happen.

Thanks for the response.

So far it looks like nobody is coming your picnic except the ants :( If my old Sportsways ever fails hydro then I might let you have my J-valve but meanwhile it's just too cool to not use I did have leak in the valve but unfortunately I was able to fix it :wink:

Yep. I guess this is dead. Good to know all the old valves are still holding up though.

So far it looks like nobody is coming your picnic except the ants :( If my old Sportsways ever fails hydro then I might let you have my J-valve but meanwhile it's just too cool to not use I did have leak in the valve but unfortunately I was able to fix it :wink:
I was actually looking to have the new valves made so that you could use the DIN regulators on them. Also I might be splitting up a set of doubles and instead of the manifold I wanted to be able to go to independent valves.

I'll just keep an eye out on flea bay and see what shows up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom