HP120s cleaning outside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvojr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to remove a bunch of marker and some small very minor rust patches from a galvanized steel tank. Does anyone have advice as to how to do this without damaging the galvanize?

Acetone worked pretty well on the marker on my pile of PSTs.

Is the rust from breakthrough in the galv, or staining from something external?

In my limited experience, I think it may have rubbed up against something and rusted on the surface. It does not seem to be broken through the galvanizing. It looks like a light brownish red dusting.

You might want to try this: The Must for Rust - Rust Remover & Inhibitor
MR326_0817_KKR_32oz_TheMustForRust_480x480.ashx.png

It says it is for (among others) galvanized surfaces. I have not tried it in this application, but have on some vehicle applications with good success and it is not obnoxious to work with.

I happened to get it off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F6UHDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but you may find it at HD or Lowes.

You might want to try this: The Must for Rust - Rust Remover & Inhibitor
View attachment 547927

It says it is for (among others) galvanized surfaces. I have not tried it in this application, but have on some vehicle applications with good success and it is not obnoxious to work with.

I happened to get it off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F6UHDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but you may find it at HD or Lowes.
Might as well use some Coca-Cola. Advantage is that you can drink the unused portion.

Actually I'll be at Dutch bright and early tomorrow for 2-3 dives then have to leave around 1pm. I'm going to stop by Home Depot on my way home and pick up a bottle to try it. Thank you for the advice.

Actually I'll be at Dutch bright and early tomorrow for 2-3 dives then have to leave around 1pm. I'm going to stop by Home Depot on my way home and pick up a bottle to try it. Thank you for the advice.
Let us know how it turns out.

I'll be over in the student side (usually on or around the plastic mats/dive flag). I drive a full-size greyish-tan Ford E350 van, and my instructor is in a red Ram pickup with small white trailer (Captain Ron's Diving). Stop by and say hi if you get a chance.

Dave

It turned out to be a nice day with nice viz at Dutch. I got the Must for Rust. The tanks look a little better. I don't think the rust is coming off nor the permanent marker. I used windex, simple green and a magic eraser. I got about 25% of it off with the eraser and guess I'll do a little at a time.

Alcohol will be my next try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom