Need recommendation for side-mount cave course in Puerto Aventuras area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all, this may have been answered before but I can’t find it. Anyway, I’ve been a full cave diver for nearly 20 years (all Mexico although I did a cavern dive in vintage gear in Ginnie Springs once :). My last trip to the Mayan Riviera was in 2015 where we dove Sistema Nohoch Nah Chich extensively (so I’m a tad rusty in the cave department). Did a lot of mapping and exploration, stage diving, laying new line, etc... diving with friends (no guide) during the first 10 years. Looking to go back but this time take a side-mount course so my friends don’t laugh at me any more for my dinosaur twin 80's back mount gear. My wife and son (who do not cave dive) like the all-inclusive Dreams Puerto Aventuras so looking for a reputable instructor/shop near there where I can take a side-mount cave course with dives in the mornings so I can spend the rest of the day with the family. Prefer a course that includes side-mount gear as I hate to buy all new and then discover I like something else. All suggestions appreciated. Thanks. Mark

Natalie Gibb of Under the Jungle has a solid reputation: Natalie L Gibb, a 2020 inductee in the Women's Diver's Hall of Fame to boot.

Cool! Appreciate the leads. Mark

Protec or Natalie Gibb. Definitely can't say Rob Bartlett is a good guy I'd recommend. We were long time customers of Protec and the only person that's ever treated us poorly there or we have seen treat other customers poorly is Rob. He's got a reputation as a bit of an a-hole amongst alot of locals down there. He's well liked by his students, but that seems to be the only people he's friendly to. I won't even go into the diving within a restricted site story. So I'd think twice on that one.

On a side note, sorry you're stuck in an all inclusive. One of the absolute best parts of diving in the QR is cheap food and cheap, but very nice apartments for rent, and really being part of the local community. All of the residents down there are so nice and we really enjoy getting to spend time with them in more local settings. Could be a great cultural experience for the family.

On a side note, sorry you're stuck in an all inclusive. One of the absolute best parts of diving in the QR is cheap food and cheap, but very nice apartments for rent, and really being part of the local community. All of the residents down there are so nice and we really enjoy getting to spend time with them in more local settings. Could be a great cultural experience for the family.

Yea I agree fully. When it's just me and by buddies we stay in an apartment or house or hammock-filled studio above a garage in Playa, Akumal or Tulum. Used to stay at Villas DeRosa quite a bit but haven't for years. The wife wants what the wife wants, so to keep everyone happy I just go with the flow and do the all-inclusive route when I'm with the family. My wife's cousin lives in Guadalajara and we visit her; plus my wife speaks Spanish so we do get out among the locals, but a pool, swim-up bar and unlimited everything is what wife and son like so who am I to argue. :)

Protec or Natalie Gibb. Definitely can't say Rob Bartlett is a good guy I'd recommend. We were long time customers of Protec and the only person that's ever treated us poorly there or we have seen treat other customers poorly is Rob. He's got a reputation as a bit of an a-hole amongst alot of locals down there. He's well liked by his students, but that seems to be the only people he's friendly to. I won't even go into the diving within a restricted site story. So I'd think twice on that one.

Rob has been a great guy for me to train with and dice with. All good for me.

Yea I agree fully. When it's just me and by buddies we stay in an apartment or house or hammock-filled studio above a garage in Playa, Akumal or Tulum. Used to stay at Villas DeRosa quite a bit but haven't for years. The wife wants what the wife wants, so to keep everyone happy I just go with the flow and do the all-inclusive route when I'm with the family. My wife's cousin lives in Guadalajara and we visit her; plus my wife speaks Spanish so we do get out among the locals, but a pool, swim-up bar and unlimited everything is what wife and son like so who am I to argue. :)

I guess as long was you're diving, who cares. Our first trip down we did one of the big resorts and I hated it. Been staying in town for years now and love the people

Rob has been a great guy for me to train with and dice with. All good for me.

As I said, alot of people that train with him love him. He had a reputation before we met him, he lived up to his reputation multiple times in person, and his reputation hasn't gotten much better. I've never seen the good side to him. With so many good choices of people at Protec and Nat Gibb, he's not worth people trying in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom