Argon, how good is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started diving between 15 and 20 years ago, I used see all kinds of drysuit divers using argon. Today, I cannot even remember the last time i saw anyone using argon for recreational cold water or drysuit diving.

A navy buddy of mine was part of the a study that the Canadian Navy did on this. They took the temps rectally. During one of the tests a technician pulled a thermometer out of his pocket and said "anyone seen my pen"?

Good study two things I dont like. It was done with water temps at 55 degrees Fahrenheit and states that further studies are needed for colder water.

Scientists always say that further study is required.
They need a further study to stay in a job, and they need a grant for the further study to get paid and to conduct it.

The no O2 suit gas warning comes because every couple of years there are stories about divers using chemical warmers inside their drysuits and would get serious burns. Using the type that relies on an oxidizing reaction to generate heat, when exposed to oxygen-enriched gas, significantly increases the output of the warmer.

If you are diving air or nitrox, no real-world benefit accrues, and extra gear to manage and extra complexity are not advantages.

If you are diving trimix, the difference in warmth between inflating with an He-rich gas and "something else" is marked. I use air, myself, in my "argon bottle." I have not lately dived with anyone who actually uses argon. I use a 6CF for single dives above 200' and a 13CF for anything deeper or for more than one mix dive. YMMV.

My understanding is that you don't use argon for additional warmth -- you use it because when you're diving helium, you don't use your back gas to inflate your drysuit. But I could be wrong.

Don't know any guys still using argon around here : too much a bother to get some and not cheap either.

I've been using air only to inflate my dry suit. Own a S006 (0.85 L) bottle. Good for 2 dives between 60 and 70 m (square profile).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom