Newbie Reg Question: Port Plugs in or Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agardner

Registered
Reaction score
Just bought my first set of reg. I've connected all hoses to their appropriate places.

I have 1 unused HP port and 2 LP ports. Do I keep the port plugs in those holes or remove them?

Yes, I read the manual but it doesn't stipulate.

I'm guessing I keep them in, otherwise the air will leak when I connect to a tank?

Never really paid attention to those rental regs I've been using!

The plugs seal off the ports you aren't using, if they're not in the first stage will empty the tank pretty quick.

A slightly more complete explanantion:

In broad strokes, In the first stage regulator:
The HP ports are directly connected to the input of the regulator and will pass Tank-Pressure air out of them to whatever is connected to them (gauge or transmitter, normally or the greater atmosphere if not plugged.)
The first stage's sole active function is to reduce the tank pressure at the inlet to approx 140psi (9.5 BAR) and passes it to whatever is connected to the LP ("Low Pressure" in common parlance, but is more formally known as IP or "Intermediate Pressure," particularly when measured for correct setting of the regulator) port i.e 2nd stage regulator, Octo, BC infilator)
The 2nd stage regulator/octo/BC inflator actually controls the flow of gas out of the LP section of the regulator (i.e. the switch)

Of note: The LP ports are designed to pass a lot of air to give you the easiest breathing, support 2 divers when sharing, etc. The HP ports have very small orifices, since they are really only designed to allow enough air to pass for accurate pressure readings. The effect is, if you have an open port or ruptured hose, a LP leak will empty the tank many times faster than an HP leak.

Back
Top Bottom