Collection of Scuba Reading Materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that Copyright only applies if you are selling access, which we are not. @The Chairman would know.

Please look at the copyright statement in the document for guidance; for example, two dive-related manuals for similar certifications, and from two different certification agencies:

PADI Divemaster Manual
"No part of this product may be reproduced, sold or distributed in any form without the written permission of the publisher." (2010)

BSAC Dive Leading
"No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, by photocopy, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the publisher and copyright holder." (2007)

Or to paraphrase the legal text above, "it's not cool to avoid paying for these materials that were produced by divers for other divers."

GJS

1) I checked with our public library about eBooks, and although they do electronically reproduce a book for eReaders, it is for a limited time, and the book delete itself at end of borrowing period. So, boogers. I guess this is not a recommended course of action, while the book is still under copyright.
2) Copyrights don’t last forever! We can still post antique books about diving with lead boots and brass helmets!

Alright well then I am taking this down immediately and deleting the files. Thanks yall.

I didn't mean to suggest something that drastic. Some of these documents may have been made publicly available by the copyright holder. (I don't want to say "in the public domain" because some copyright rights may still be retained.) For example, Blueprint for Survival. All I meant was to keep in mind when you are considering uploading something whether it looks like the copyright holder might reasonably object. As in life, just try to do the right thing.

So why is this different from a public library?

Seriously? Does the publisher of an e-book allow you to share it without restrictions? No, they do not. Same for movies, songs, poems, limericks, etc. And as the copyright holders, they have every right to try to prevent you from sharing these things.

Edit: Hey, I posted this reply before I saw your second post above. I see you have enlightened yourself.

So why is this different from a public library?
C’mon @The Chairman! Back me up here!

Public libraries are based on explicit law and the writers also get compensation.
There is no law stating that Scubaboard can carry copies, and Scubaboard does not pay a dime.

This is not even a question about money. It's a question about the lawmakers decisions.
Libraries are considered important. And historically (the few last millennia) that is VERY true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom