Considering OWSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering doing the new PADI IDC. I am already an active DM and assist instructors in my free time. After an info session I started calculating costs. Considering all the costs course related and the annual fees, just how much dose an OWSI have to teach every year before covering costs and making few bucks? I'm not planning on doing this full time at the moment.

Are you going to work independently or for a shop? Shops usually pay peanuts. If money is a motivator instead of growing, you'll have a tendency to place students on their knees at max ratios. In my area, instructors get $25 per student to get them through academics and the pool session and $25 if certified. If the student washes out and you don't certify them, you don't get that extra $25.

Now that I teach independently, I have designed my own course (longer with nitrox, dry suit, and sac swims and swim rate swims) make more money, but I have a lot more costs with equipment that I provide, extra insurance, and air fills.

I have subsidized my growth (and a big thanks to all those folks on social media who have helped me) for the end goal of opening my own dive shop.

If I was never going to open a dive shop, I'd never become a pro. The risk/reward ratio is completely out of whack.

I am considering doing the new PADI IDC. I am already an active DM and assist instructors in my free time. After an info session I started calculating costs. Considering all the costs course related and the annual fees, just how much dose an OWSI have to teach every year before covering costs and making few bucks? I'm not planning on doing this full time at the moment.
All depends on how much work you get and at what pay. Insurance and yearly member fee, figure on close to $900. If teaching for a facility they may put you on their group insurance and may cover cost, ask before hired. What works for some may not for others. For myself it works, I retired from corporate , have a pension, and teach now full time. Facility I am associated with pays above what others do in the area and I am treated well.

I’ve been teaching 20 years......still haven’t broke even........lol.

From what I understand it would cost me around 700$ in fees annually. I heard of a rate approx. 90$ per open water student working for a local shop. (correct me if I am wrong.) So I guess that would be like 8 students a year. Then their's gas, gear and time, without forgetting the 3 000$ course. That is just to break even. That would be 50 students in the first year. It might not be much but I d'ont live by the ocean.
I like teaching and scuba, the fees just seem high. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I had this crazy idea that once an instructor, I could travel 1 month a year or something depending on work and be an Instructor somewhere warmer all while maybe covering costs.

I'm a little lost in all this. I know we do it out of passion but their's always the financial aspect like anything else.

From what I understand it would cost me around 700$ in fees annually. I heard of a rate approx. 90$ per open water student working for a local shop. (correct me if I am wrong.) So I guess that would be like 8 students a year. Then their's gas, gear and time, without forgetting the 3 000$ course. That is just to break even. That would be 50 students in the first year. It might not be much but I d'ont live by the ocean.
I like teaching and scuba, the fees just seem high. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I had this idea that once an instructor, I could travel 1 month a year or something depending on work and be an Instructor somewhere warmer all while maybe covering costs.

I'm a little lost in all this. I know we do it out of passion but their's always the financial aspect like anything else.

That $700 is for minimal insurance. I can't speak to PADIs fees, but my understanding is that they've gone up significantly in a year or two. Expect to pay more like $1000 total.

The fees are high. It isn't a money maker, even if you work for yourself. But you can do better. But you need to develop yourself. Unless you go through an agency like UTD (I am tempted to go through their program just to learn to teach better than mainstream agencies), you won't have a good foundation for teaching. When teaching for a shop, it is okay to be a not very good instructor. Take that opportunity to learn and hopefully you find a good mentor that will accelerate your development.

Reach out to people. I'm always happy to help. So is Jay. Andy Davis and Ryan @custureri two people I suggest following on social media. Find/follow them on Facebook.

Unless you live right next to the ocean, the motel and meal costs eliminate a big chunk of your profit when you arrive down for the open water dives, even if they're all your private students. And it's another donated weekend that you don't have for yourself. And if you're doing it for a shop, you're splitting profits to start.
It's a labour of love.
Until you open a shop, and maybe not even then, you won't make much money. But you do get a lot of comp'ed dive vacations. There is that.

Best way of getting your investment back is to work abroad in a low cost country in a decent operation. This is what I did. In most of the places I worked, income was not taxed, accommodation was provided and there was not much to buy even you had money, so what you earn accumulates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom