Examples, Stories, Anecdotes of Tank Valve Failures. (Side Topic H-Valve Single Tank Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use an H-valve. If for example, you blow a LP hose at the insertion point into the first stage, how do you determine which side to shut off?

With an isolator doubles manifold, I assume you shut that down first?

Hope this is not too far off topic? I am curious what is best practice?

Had a burst valve go on a cylinder just before a pool session was to begin. I don't think the equipment at that shop were particularly well maintained in hindsight.

I am curious to hear any stories or personal experiences of actual tank valve failures. The reason for my interest is to gauge the risk of decompression diving (no caves) single tanks with H-Valves.
Presumably with two regs on the H-valve? Do you intend to carry a deco bottle as well?
Note that two regs on an H-valve provides first-stage redundancy only. Unless it is quite cold water that might cause a first-stage freeze-up, I'd be more concerned about gas redundancy on a deco dive, not reg redundancy.

Presumably with two regs on the H-valve? Do you intend to carry a deco bottle as well?
Note that two regs on an H-valve provides first-stage redundancy only. Unless it is quite cold water that might cause a first-stage freeze-up, I'd be more concerned about gas redundancy on a deco dive, not reg redundancy.

Yes. For this discussion let's say warm water ocean diving carrying slung deco bottle. I should point out I have no intent on doing anything, rather just researching. I recognize the clear advantages of doubles with an isolation manifold, but I am curious if anyone has actually heard or experienced a valve failing.

I have certainly heard stories and seen videos of first and second stage failures, hose failures, but never of valve failure.

As I continued to think about this, I have heard of burst disk/plugs failing and have seen it happen before during a fill. I suppose if one was considering an H valve setup it would be wise to use a permanent plug on that tank valve.
You mean plug the second DIN opening?

Yes. For this discussion let's say warm water ocean diving carrying slung deco bottle. I should point out I have no intent on doing anything, rather just researching. I recognize the clear advantages of doubles with an isolation manifold, but I am curious if anyone has actually heard or experienced a valve failing.

I have certainly heard stories and seen videos of first and second stage failures, hose failures, but never of valve failure.
I know of two incidents of debris in the tank clogging the valve, one I watched happen.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom