Newbie Reg Question: Port Plugs in or Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just thinking an Equipment Class might be a good thing for the OP to do over the winter.

We cover that in detail in our NAUI entry level scuba course. This should have been explained in his certification course. I can't understand why not and why it would need a "course" to cover this most basic and essential information.

We cover that in detail in our NAUI entry level scuba course. This should have been explained in his certification course. I can't understand why not and why it would need a "course" to cover this most basic and essential information.
Well, the Equipment class covers a lot more than port plugs.....

First thing that came to mind was...

plug.jpg

OW is a bit like drinking from a firehose on wide, and as a recent entrant to this endeavor, I can see that the little intricasies of equipment configuration are easy to miss compared to the how-not-to-die stuff.
For that matter, I doubt that port plugs were ever in my OW ... that was certified technician stuff.
On the other hand I have the engineer sickness, so I'm dissasembling everything in my mind ...

So Bravo to @agardner for taking control and DIYing. That is a big part of what SCUBABoard is - people like me asking newb questions and getting mentored.

Leave them out. Hook it up to a tank. Turn it on (Mod edit) just a little tiny bit. Watch, listen, and learn.

Notice the HP port. very.....very....small hole. It IS HIGH pressure, but little actual volume of air can actually get through it.
OTOH, the LP port if open can empty a tank in minutes. It is designed to pass huge amounts of air.

Well, the Equipment class covers a lot more than port plugs.....

I am talking about the port plugs and how they should be treated, I know what the equipment class covers.

OW is a bit like drinking from a firehose on wide, and as a recent entrant to this endeavor, I can see that the little intricasies of equipment configuration are easy to miss compared to the how-not-to-die stuff.
For that matter, I doubt that port plugs were ever in my OW

Part of the very basic lecture on regulators is what hoses do what and where they are connected and port plugs. Also, the students handles regulators by their own hands while in training in the confined and open water and they surely see the unused ports covered by the plugs and understand what they are and what they do. This is very basic information and knowledge the instructor should have delivered to the students just like learning how to clear water out of the mask and assembling the scuba unit, equalizing the ears, etc. I am talking about the certification course not a DSD.

I am talking about the port plugs and how they should be treated, I know what the equipment class covers.

Part of the very basic lecture on regulators is what hoses do what and where they are connected and port plugs. Also, the students handles regulators by their own hands while in training in the confined and open water and they surely see the unused ports covered by the plugs and understand what they are and what they do. This is very basic information and knowledge the instructor should have delivered to the students just like learning how to clear water out of the mask and assembling the scuba unit, equalizing the ears, etc. I am talking about the certification course not a DSD.
I don't disagree. But it is irrelevant to the OP, who has not learned these things, for whatever reason. Thus, my suggestions of an Equipment class. I'm trying to fix a problem; you are trying to assign blame for why there is a problem.

I don’t remember port plugs and port sizes during OW certification, just how to assemble regulator, tank, BC, inflator hose. It wasn’t until I bought my own regulators and changed hoses that this became self evident. With rental gear the regulators and hoses are presented “as is” for use.

Back
Top Bottom