Shearwater Perdix and Perdix ai question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn, perhaps a Shearwater is simply not the most appropriate computer for your style of diving.

Maybe you could all ask for a GF at 8000 ft display? :)

Checkout Neal Pollock’s “The future of diver protection” talk from here https://www.bsac.com/news-and-blog/bsac19conf

He makes a point about the computer only knows part of the story. Also, the range and circumstances used when developing the algorithms may not match yours. I don’t know if any of Buhlmann’s divers were put in planes following their dives, even assuming their 100/100 profiles relate to some 45/95 ish dive at all.

I have to ask - how many people are really making their decisions about flights after their last dive? That's the only point at which the little icon has any possible relevance.

Outside of a clear 'ooops' dive profile or obvious DCI symptoms I suspect in most cases this decision is made several weeks or months before when the trip is booked. Even for local diving, not many people are suddenly deciding to jump on a plane within the next 24 hours (not to leave out the - I'm sure - litany of private jet owners on this forum...).

suspect in most cases this decision is made several weeks or months before when the trip is booked. Even for local diving, not many people are suddenly deciding to jump on a plane within the next 24 hours

99.99% of the time you're right.

However..

Just a month ago, on the way back from 4 days intense diving I took a call which meant I needed to get back to the UK (8hr flight) asap for a family emergency. My Suunto (Eon Steel) showed 34hrs. Knowing the Eon would be conservative, but also knowing I'd been making a bunch of aggressive dives I could weigh up the pro's and cons of "risking" the 24hr or giving it 36hrs which is what I did

Had I just made a couple of shallow dives then my decision would have been different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom