Cozumel diving week of 28 Nov 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The currents this week have been mixed. Slow to non-existent currents running both North and South, switching direction, and circular eddies where we passed over the same reef multiple times. Today (Nov 1) had fast currents South to North to the point where I didn't even try to take any photos. We dove the wall past Dalila and then the White House (our designation) and then we cut over to Cedral Pass and completed that as well.

We haven't dived the wall much near Dalila since the top where we were is about 94 feet.

On the second dive we had a free swimming Green Moray eel that circled around us and we think he was out looking for free lionfish. We had none. The eel just about ran me over when I was coming around a bend in the strong current.

Since we were not clear on which way the currents were running we would start between two adjacent sites and go whichever way the current took us. At times it switched anyway.

One thing about diving a reef backwards is that many kinds of fish will hide in the shielded down current side. With the current going backwards, you can better approach these sides for good views. Second, many of the fish will try to use the opposite side if available but the topology (ledges, overhangs, holes, etc) are sometimes different and may provide less cover so seeing fish and other things can be easier.

We dove from La Francesa to Tormentos. Most dives we would select an area with no boats but we did have groups move past us. My friends did do a dive in the North they said was enjoyable with manageable currents.

The water was warm but the switching currents and some rain reduced visibility in spots.

I dove with Bottom Time Divers and we had full boats every day. Most of us knew each other from years past and included our friends from Virginia and Chicago.

We saw many more Goldentail eels than I have seen in the recent past.
Quite a few spotted morays and many larger ones.
We saw quite a few adult spotted drums but not alot of juveniles.
There were not alot of turtles and were Greens and Hawksbills.
Many toadfish.

Of note, and included in the photos, were a scorpionfish with it's mouth open. I wish I had centered it better. Nasty looking rings of teeth.

I tried to get the sailfin blenny to come further out but it would not cooperate. There is a blue dot in other photos on the fin.

Lastly, I think the photo of the cream colored eel with spots is a spotted snake eel. I cannot see the whole band behind the head but all other indications tell me that is what it is. I could only get two photos of it before it disappeared under the sand and we could see it moving easily under the sand. I waited for quite some time for it to come back up but it did not.

Anemone 002c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Damselfish Coral Coz 001c Oct 2019.jpg

Flamingo Tongues
Flamingo Tongue 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Goldentail Eel
Goldentail Eel Coz 001c Oct 2019.jpg

Green Turtle
Green Turtle 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Jackknife fish
Jacknife fish 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Lettuce Sea Slug
Lettuce Sea Slug 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Neon Goby
Neon Goby 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Octopus
Octopus Coz 001c Oct 2019.jpg

Peacock Flounder
Peacock Flounder 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

More Photos.

Queen Angelfish

Queen Angelfish 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Sailfin Blenny
Sailfin Blenny 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Scorpionfish
Scorpionfish 002c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Scorpionfish (same as above)
Scorpionfish 003c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Splendid Toadfish
Splendid Toadfish 004c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Spotted Drum adult
Spotted Drum Coz 001c Oct 2019.jpg

Spotted Snake Eel
Spotted Snake Eel 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

White Speckled Hermit Crab
White speckled hermit crab 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

White nose Pipefish
Whitenose Pipefish 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Yellowhead Jawfish
Yellowhead Jawfish 001c Coz Oct 2019.jpg

Great photos but November 28 is 4 weeks in the future. :p

thanks for taking the time to share your dive observations and beautiful underwater shots! Very nice photos nice and close! I miss seeing it all in person. I appreciate you sharing here.

Great photos by November 28 is 4 weeks in the future. :p

Yes - Got ahead of myself. On the other hand, I don't have to pay my dive bill for a month. :D

Yes - Got ahead of myself. On the other hand, I don't have to pay my dive bill for a month. :D
I shot some videos of whale sharks thru two days of snorkeling once, put them together, then added a title to the opening that included the wrong year. Didn't realize for some time, after I had already saved it to Vimeo, shared it, etc.

Back
Top Bottom