First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But seriously... I recall I picked up a few pairs from simplyscuba UK for $5. And I’ve had them from leisurepro for $7 in a sale...that was last year. There is a joint in Canada that does them for about $8 a pair as well.

I also found a pair in the women’s underwear section of Hudson’s bay in Montreal *ahem* when I was waiting for my wife... for $6 CAD I recall.

One thing I would say is - look at your packing list and half it.

On a liveaboard you need virtually no clothes. A couple of pairs of shorts and Tshirts, a hoody and underwear is really all that is needed because you can rinse and reuse.

Definitely +1 on socks - IMHO it doesn't need to be anything in particular but you WILL benefit from something between your feet and boots. My feet were pretty mashed up after 3 days but as soon as I put a pair of socks (cotton IIRC) on during the dives they started to clear up.

The socks in your photo have ridges. The lycra socks that I'm talking about feel silky.
Chilly would you please post a link to your where you get your socks? Do you happen to know if they make mens or better yet kids? I have small feet (euro 40 USA 7 or 7.5) and socks are a ******* nightmare. one size socks are always to big with the heels ending up at my ankle.

@seaseadee
Google "ankle stockings".

My heals were getting rubbed bad near the end of a hectic dive trip in Bali and my mum handed me a pair of these, at first I was a bit embarrassed wearing my mum's stockings lol but OMG....they saved my trip!

D9E947E8-39CB-4AC9-B956-CE3DB2E60964.jpeg
C40B2B1B-0DB8-4AE6-946A-3847606335A7.jpeg

Also, make sure you bring Lycra dive socks..and probably a good idea to bring som blister plasters..you feet get pretty banged up from 5 dives a day. A good set of (inexpensive) Lycra dive socks and boots are a lifesaver. Take an extra pair and save someone else’s trip too..

Come to think of it, my left ankle got a blister after 20 dives on this trip: Real Time Blue Manta Review: Banda Sea 9 – 19 Sept 2019 I had to put on bandaids over the blister for the remaining 10 dives. Having socks would prevent such blister from occurring. Good point!

I tend toward the practical and a bit crude, so you've been warned.

1.) Plan to have your smart phone with GPS capability on the dive deck part of the time. If getting it dripped on bothers you, get a zip lock bag or similar. Before each dive, they may draw a dive site graphic and talk about it. Use the phone to take a photo. Even if you don't have cell service, your phone can take a photo with GPS coordinates included. I got an iPhone app. later off Apple's App. Store to get those. Some dive log software (e.g.: MacDive) lets you input GPS coordinates and displays them on a map. It's something you may someday wish you had.

2.) Toilets (a.k.a. marine heads) on boats often clog really easily. Unclogging them is a nasty job for a crew member. If you're a big guy who eats a lot, how can we have peace? Well, there's a (ridiculously small) little trash can in the bathroom. Use that rather than flush your toilet paper wads. I have no idea what other people do, and it's probably cruder than most people would mention, but hey, that's why you've got me!

3.) Between dives, head up to the top deck and lay in a lounge chair and doze. I've been blessed to rack up high dive counts (on live-aboards every one they offered me so far), diving can be tiring, yet I'm a chunky 50-year old out-of-shape white collar worker. How do I do it when some of the youngsters skip dives to take breaks? Nap! Even if it's just sitting somewhere with your eyes closed 10 or 15 minutes.

4.) Get some swimmer's ear prevention drops, and use them every few dives. Don't wait till you need them, or they will burn miserably. Bring enough to share.

5.) Never mind photo-editing; bring an iPad, smart phone, laptop or similar to back photos up to each evening in case your camera floods during the trip. And yes, a glance at your photos may alert you the exposure control knob got accidentally turned and your latest photos were too dark, etc...

6.) After your dive, everyone will leave their gear at their station, disconnect their 1st stage to ready for a tank refill, and go get a snack or ready for the upcoming meal. Once the dive deck is clear, and you've had your snack or meal, go to the dive deck and test your nitrox mix while the deck is almost empty, and log your % (they'll likely have a clipboard for this). Saves waiting.

So, rest yourself often, protect your ears (e.g.: if you like Sudafed 24-hour to aid equalizing/Flonase/etc..., bring it!), back up your photos and don't clog the john.

Chilly would you please post a link to your where you get your socks? Do you happen to know if they make mens or better yet kids? I have small feet (euro 40 USA 7 or 7.5) and socks are a ******* nightmare. one size socks are always to big with the heels ending up at my ankle.

I haven't bought any lately so not sure whete to direct you. The ones that I have bought over the years are indeed "one size fits all" but that's because they don't have a defined heel. They're more like a pocket. I'm perfectly fine with the cheap ones. I'll take a look see on the internet and if there's anything like mine, I'll get back to you.

This is a similar sock. Unfortunately, this is not a great photo because it is taken on a foot. Imagine a mitt with no place for a thumb. It's just a tube sock usually seamed on both sides and around the curve that will be the toe area. The seams on mine bever bother me. Because there is no heel either, the sock wrinkles a bit at the front of my foot at the ankle, as seen in this photo. The more I wear them, the more they seem to create their own heel, which is just a stretching of the favric from wearing them in the same direction all the time. The socks are really slippery slidey material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom