Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most-Expensive-Dive-Watch-Ever award goes to a DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) Chinese gentleman who took the plunge (literally) this August in the Phils with a Gold Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar (legit one, I know watches).

This reminds me: a friend of mine once spent hours in a market in Beijing or Shanghai or wherever it was, looking for a fake Rolex with Chinese characters on its face. His explanation: every one has a fake Rolex that says "rolex", I'm the only one with a fake Rolex that says "fake". :D

So, would one consider this just a luxury status device or worth the money as a functional watch?

Also, if worth it, any difference between a nicely used one versus a new one? Asking because I love Rolex watches, but I like vintage Rolex, typically.

As an estate jeweller I have bought, worn and sold MANY vintage Rolex'sand Omegas... would barely trust them washing my hands never mind diving.

Unless the model was specific to diving (not just waterproof) and has been pressure serviced by a qualified watchmaker (not necessarily at an authorized Rolex dealer... just a damn good watchmaker with the right equipment) I wouldn't dream of diving any older watch. As soon as someone has opened the case it needs to be re-certified... and if you're buying a vintage Rolex I would hope that the dealer opens it for you so you can visually verify the movement. I will not buy or sell a a watch unless I open it.

I have had more modern Submariners and Seamasters and have swum with them after my watchmaker gave them the OK... but would only dive with a new dive watch. Currently I have the Citizen Promaster Depth Watch (added benefit of a depth gauge as a analog backup).

Promaster Depth Meter | Citizen

This reminds me: a friend of mine once spent hours in a market in Beijing or Shanghai or wherever it was, looking for a fake Rolex with Chinese characters on its face. His explanation: every one has a fake Rolex that says "rolex", I'm the only one with a fake Rolex that says "fake". :D

dmaziuk, you'd be surprised at how few fake Rolexes in China are actually worn by Chinese , and at how much money people actually have in places such as Shanghai. I've been living there almost 15 years, I know watches, I know what I'm talking about. That PP was real :). Anyway, off-topic.

As an estate jeweller I have bought, worn and sold MANY vintage Rolex'sand Omegas... would barely trust them washing my hands never mind diving.
I have had more modern Submariners and Seamasters and have swum with them after my watchmaker gave them the OK... but would only dive with a new dive watch. Currently I have the Citizen Promaster Depth Watch (added benefit of a depth gauge as a analog backup).

I agree 300% with what Canada Dan says. Many people (not divers, I hope) buy Submariners and similar midmarket watches and stop to properly service them because it's costly. After 10 years the watch is probably as water tight as your One Dollar G-Shock knock-off of the day. Again, get a Seiko SKX 007 (250 USD) or a Seiko Prospex (500-1,500 USD) and knock yourself out. A brand new one is cheaper than an official Rolex service.

dmaziuk, you'd be surprised at how few fake Rolexes in China are actually worn by Chinese , and at how much money people actually have in places such as Shanghai. I've been living there almost 15 years, I know watches, I know what I'm talking about. That PP was real :). Anyway, off-topic.

Nope, I'll not be surprised, nor did I ever doubt that one was real. It was just an amusing story you reminded me of. Totally OT.

So if you are just looking for a watch to wear diving, I would buy a $50 gshock or a budget seiko.... honestly even the cheapest quartz watch is going to keep more accurate time than a Rolex.... and if you lose it or it gets damaged, it’s no big loss.

if you are buying a watch for a status symbol, or simply because you want a damn nice watch....but also want to dive in it, then sure get the Rolex. There’s nothing wrong with that.

if you want something in between the two, ide look at the omega seamaster, Breitling super ocean, the Tag aqua racer, or even some of the seiko prospect line.

You don’t NEED a Rolex, as I said a $50 Casio will be a better performing watch...... but if you WANT a Rolex, it’s not gonna fail you, and if you decide to sell it, you honestly won’t lose much money.

Tag aqua racer

My buddy has one and dives with it. It needed to be repaired for rust damage inside the case. It wasn't covered by Tag.

My buddy has one and dives with it. It needed to be repaired for rust damage inside the case. It wasn't covered by Tag.

Rust in stainless steel dive watches is quite frequent. Older Rolex (316 stainless) rusts / pits between the bracelet and the case or between the caseback and the case, this is why people in the know would usually not buy vintage Rolex dive watches that have been actually taken diving (with the notable exception of DRSDs and Comex 5513/1665/16660s but that's another story).

I have a Suunto D6i (my daughter's current dive watch) that I regularly take the strap off after each diving trip to clean the case thoroughly with a soft brush and soapy wate. First year or so I didn't and the case and small metal parts in the strap were rusting between the case and the strap. Cleaning the watch in fresh water after each dive isn't enough. Seawater is highly corrosive.

Luckily the Teric has a polycarbonate (plastic) case, one more reason I like it. No searching for rust.

Rust in stainless steel dive watches is quite frequent. Older Rolex (316 stainless) rusts / pits between the bracelet and the case or between the caseback and the case, this is why people in the know would usually not buy vintage Rolex dive watches that have been actually taken diving (with the notable exception of DRSDs and Comex 5513/1665/16660s but that's another story).

I have a Suunto D6i (my daughter's current dive watch) that I regularly take the strap off after each diving trip to clean the case thoroughly with a soft brush and soapy wate. First year or so I didn't and the case and small metal parts in the strap were rusting between the case and the strap. Cleaning the watch in fresh water after each dive isn't enough. Seawater is highly corrosive.

Luckily the Teric has a polycarbonate (plastic) case, one more reason I like it. No searching for rust.

Inside the case??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom