All I want for Christmas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fabiandelete

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, Christmas is coming. What are this years gadgets for under the tree?

Note: new regs and such are fun, but not something you would expect under the tree. Please stick to the more present oriented stuff.

first contestant: the Toypedo Orginal, a fun underwater toy which also helps you in training you buoyancy skills.

I like a simple, modest-cost, easy to use tank light...having previously tried some popular products that didn't work out well over time.

I think this is the one (looks exactly like what I'm using) - the Innovative 500 hour water activated flashing marker light - red. Small, lasts so long I don't concern myself with changing batteries or taking it off during the day, thus it's always there, comes on when I'm submerged, turns itself on and off...$12.93 and available with Prime shipping on Amazon.

Lycra socks to prevent chafing/blisters on high dive count trips.

Picked up an XS Scuba X5 Accessory Hanger on a whim and like it! On a recent Bonaire trip, seemed like putting by dive boots on it hanging upside down and a bit open helped dry them out better overnight. It's not a BCD or reg. hanger, it's for fins, boots, gloves, mask...

If you want reef safe sunscreen, a tube of Stream2Sea could be good. Trailboss123 spoke well of EarShield, which I tried in Bonaire and seemed like a good product.

A Trilobite, or the DGX Sharp Cut with ceramic blade that's a lot like it, or other small, efficient and easy to carry cutting tool, would be good. A set of spring straps for fins. Maybe a folding pocket snorkel for people who don't like snorkels but might need one once in awhile? A water resistant note pad like Rite In The Rain for taking notes during dive briefings on dive boat decks where water's a hazard?

My son and I will each get Nautilus Lifelines -- I got a great deal on 2 New-In-Box on eBay. Will be nice to have while diving in Cozumel the week of Christmas.

@drrich2 I've also been thinking of marker lights -- I'm thinking of the Glo-Toob because it has good reviews, good price, uses a standard AAA battery, and can either be used either flashing (even has SOS mode) or non-flashing. However, the Innovative 500 lights are also tempting for convenience

I'm thinking of the Glo-Toob because it has good reviews

I've used a Glo-Toob before (many years ago); over time it rusted shut. I had a Princeton tank light...that inexplicably eventually started flashing uncontrollably, and couldn't be turned off without taking the top off so it lose battery connection (on a positive note, even flashing non-stop, it lasted a long, long time). Chemical glow-sticks aren't allowed in Bonaire, and don't last long and thus we're left with perhaps bulkier pollution.

I like the Innovative because it requires practically no attention to me, I don't need to change batteries so there's no concern with rusting up, and it lasts so long I don't feel the need to take it on and off to save 'charge' during day dives.

Diving, especially solo diving when I do that, is already a check-list of things to have or do (to avoid embarrassments like jumping in without my fins, which I've done before...), that I like stream-lined solutions for problems. One more thing off my mind, one more straw off the camel's back.

P.S.: Forgot a good one! An SMB and finger spool! How many 'lost at sea' accident & incident threads do we have to read before they're considered a 'need' even on benign ocean dives?

A backup Teric A.I. would be nice....

Great first list! But let’s keep it (relative) low cost.

One of them could be wetnotes. But which are affordable but still good?

Every year we do a "Christmas wish list". Last year, for shits and giggles, I put a "Sealife DC2000 with flash and video light" on the list, never expecting anything like that to show up under the tree. Alas Santa and her helpers made it happen. I've spent the last year learning underwater photography - some good results, and some not so good results.

This year I am going to ask for a macro lens for the camera, so that I can get some detailed close-ups, especially for some of the critters in Cozumel. :thumb2:

Divegoose

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom