Managing the Urge to Overeat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHorse81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Consider the life you want the most and weigh each choice."

From the perspective of someone that's struggled off and on with their weight and overeating for years...it all can be boiled down to that one quote.

The problem for most people that overeat is that for one reason or another...they view food...in particular food that is both great tasting AND very unhealthy...as a reward and/or something to look forward to. The key for someone in that position is finding a motivator to break that cycle. Something that is more positive to focus on than a Baconator sandwich from Wendy's or (insert any other artery clogging food).

Another thing is the realization (which many over-eaters never get) that not only do you have to eat a lot to gain weight, but you have to eat to maintain your current weight. ex. I've dropped 10 lbs in the past month and I haven't stepped foot in a gym. Other than stepping away from the food trough (eat more reasonable sized portions), the only other change is walking my dog more frequently (20-30 minutes per day).

That and eating right takes work and time. Two things that some people are going to struggle finding the motivation to do. ex. Fruit, veggies, etc. I go to the grocery store at least 3-4 days a week now. After I've gotten up at 0445 in the morning, driven an hour or more to work, stayed at work for 8+ hours, and driven an hour or more home...I have to hit the grocery store. It's a complete PITA, but I do it anyways...because I'd rather eat right.

A lot of people that are in that boat (crappy commute or other time constrained issues) are just not going to be willing to hit the grocery store frequently to get fresh food. They're going to want to just grab frozen stuff once a week on the weekend and hit fast food for other meals.

The key for people that are prone to overeating is not putting themselves in a position where it's likely to occur. ex. If you have to stop at a fast food restaurant...order a small sized combo and get water or unsweetened tea to drink. The soft drink alone is several hundred calories

If you do cook for yourself...be honest...do you REALLY save leftovers or do you just eat a bunch more because there's more food to eat? If you're just stuffing your face...buy smaller amounts of food to prep for each meal. One thing I started doing is buying smaller packs of ground turkey whenever we do taco night or I want meat sauce for pasta. I used to crush a small pack of turkey myself without a problem. Now...a small pack is enough for myself and the GF.

People that overeat know that they're overeating. They know that there are healthier options out there. The key is for them to find a compelling reason to step away from the food trough (my not so delicate way of putting it) and find something more positive to focus on than food. For many people...that's difficult.

I think it's a great article. I do most of these things to keep myself at a steady weight.

People that overeat know that they're overeating. They know that there are healthier options out there. The key is for them to find a compelling reason to step away from the food trough (my not so delicate way of putting it) and find something more positive to focus on than food. For many people...that's difficult.

Your post shows a lot of insight. Your final statement nicely describes the problem that I address in "Why We Overeat and How to Stop."

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the content.

Hi Seahorse81,

I read your article, and from my point of view, I agree with most of it. Where I don't agree is that some of us have had to modify the old food pyramid as grains and some vegetables are highly problematic. Simple carbs are what my body (and mind) crave. My metabolism (digestive tract and pancreas) can turn potatoes and grain based foods to fat almost instantly. It is all about blood sugar and blood sugar spikes for me.

I can eat a reasonably sized portion of any protein and a plate full of complex carbs and either maintain my weight or lose weight (depending on energy burned, or exercise). It is a simple mathematical formula.

Fuel consumed must be equal to or less than energy burned.

I know, you may be thinking that I have committed a contradiction. Just eat the proper amount of simple carbs and you will be OK. NOT!:no:

That screws up my metabolism. I am no longer in a ketonic state when I eat simple carbs. I am always hungry. My bowels don't function properly. I am always craving more simple carbs.

I can drink olive oil and not gain weight. Fat is not the problem. Bad fat is a problem. Place a loaf of freshly baked sour dough bread, a plate full of pasta, and/or a plate full of mashed potatoes in front of me at every meal, and I can't button my pants in 3 days. I love those things.

However, give me a plate full of veggies that are all lathered in olive oil at every meal, and I am satisfied for hours and not gaining weight.

YOUR metabolism matters. Figure our what you metabolize quickly and avoid it like the plague.

My neighbors have been exercising and eating "right" for years. They have not been able to drop that last 20 pounds. They now eat complex carbs and protein. We were at a restaurant and they ordered their meal with no bread and no potatoes. They are now approaching their weight goals.

If you have to stop at a fast food restaurant...order a small sized combo and get water or unsweetened tea to drink.

Hi Baranaby's Dad,

Try eliminating the happy meal and just order the sandwich and tea. The burger alone isn't that bad for you. For many, the potatoes are the coup de main (bread from the sandwich, plus potatoes are the double whammy). My wife and I went hiking yesterday. On the way home we wanted something light for dinner. We stopped at KFC and got chicken and coleslaw. No biscuit, no potatoes, and no KFC cookie. Was it a good choice? No. It was good tasting and in the big scheme of things, the fried chicken won't hurt us.

It works me. You are probably different. I have been on this diet for almost 40 years. I am on this diet every day of the year, except major holidays and other special occasions (weddings, birthdays, funerals, Scubaboard Surges and Invasions).

MarkM
PS: My strategy (singular) combines the tactics of portion control regarding simple carbs, and eating foods that metabolize slowly. Good fat, good protein, and complex carbs. Remember, fats are good and essential. Fat, per se, is not bad for you. Simple sugars are a really bad choice for me (you).

Back
Top Bottom