Advice needed...gear, AOW, buddy and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!

First of all I guess I should tell you more about me :) French is my first language so please forgive me any misspelling!
So I’m recently OW certified with PADI. Only 5 dives logged...but I guess we all have to start somewhere! I come from Canada and those dives were in a lake. I really enjoyed diving even if those first dives have been far from perfect, I got sick, got super cold and hurt my ear pretty bad. I learn...not to have wine at diner before a day of diving...to wear a wetsuit that fits and to practice equalizing!

So here’s where your advices are needed...
Gear...obviously I got myself a proper wetsuit, mask and snorkel. Next thing I want to get is a dive computer. Debating between Cressi leonardo and Suunto D4I novo. Not the same price but thats what I’m asking really, do you thing I should invest less or more to start with? Also do you have any other suggestions I might have overlooked?
What are the others pieces of equipment that should come next? Fins? Thinking also of a mask with a purge...I know equipment solution to skill problem but I guess it would reassure me. Any opinions on it?

Then for the AOW... going to Bonaire this winter and was thinking of doing my AOW...not sure because I’m scared of the deep and the night dive. I was thinking maybe doing my rescue, maybe some guided dives and then my AOW. Do you think is a good idea? Should I wait more for my advance? I would like a little bit more experience before I do it but I really think is better to do it in the ocean instead of waiting next summer and do it in a lake...

That brings my last questions...Any advice about Bonaire specifically?
I’m totally buddy less, so what would be the best way to find one? Dive shop? I would like my buddy to be a DM can I hire one? Been female I just don’t want to end up with a creepy dude.

Thank you so much! I’m sure your advices will be usefull!

Hello everyone!

Then for the AOW... going to Bonaire this winter and was thinking of doing my AOW...not sure because I’m scared of the deep and the night dive. I was thinking maybe doing my rescue, maybe some guided dives and then my AOW. Do you think is a good idea? Should I wait more for my advance? I would like a little bit more experience before I do it but I really think is better to do it in the ocean instead of waiting next summer and do it in a lake...

It's absolutely a good idea to do AOWD in good ocean conditions rather than do it in a cold lake, but it's also a good idea to get some dive time between OWD and AOWD.

The AOWD is not an intensive course though, you can treat it as basically guided dives with a focus on something particular. Deep dives can be intimidating at first, but if you start shallow and work your way down then it won't be scary at all. Either way a good instructor should be able to help you address your fears.

Night diving is not a necessity in the AOWD, so you don't have to do it. However, I would wager most people find the night dive to be the best dive on the course if you do do it! For me, the fear of night diving was the same as the fear of deep diving - descending into an abyss of the unknown. My instructor was fantastic in this regard and simply said, "we'll dive at sunset, so you can see what you're doing during the descent". And it was a fantastic and not at all scary experience. Night diving is now my favourite type of diving by far!

Discuss with potential instructors your fears and see how flexible they are (if you're with a group they might not be) - both night and deep dives have ways of easing you into them. If you don't feel comfortable with course outline your instructor suggests, go to a different outlet, or just do the guided dives you enjoy and do the AOWD later!

Dive computer selection: I am not of much help there and while I bought more expensive than I needed when I bought, for me it was the wrong call. Had I bought a well functioning low end computer, my wife would be diving that now and I'd be on a Shearwater instead of a Suunto Eon... (The latter is not a bad computer, it's also usable as a tech computer, but uses the wrong, proprietary algorithm to really be compatible with others (irrelevant for rec. diving). It sounded good when I really didn't know anything yet, I got a good sub $1k price with sender, but $250... 300 would have sufficed for what I need until I actually know what I want if I even want "more" computer.
Fins and Mask: It's sort of odd not to have those first. I would not ever buy a Mask with a purge valve. I fail to comprehend what advantage that is supposed to provide. Mask seems straight forward: buy what fits you well. Fins well you'll get as much advice there as answers. Do you know yet if you get yourself better trimmed out with light fins (in the water) or heavier fins (in the water). Personally for air travel, I like light fins that fit into an official carry on size piece of luggage. Eddy fins (Deep 6) may be an option. I happen to like Oceanic Accell fins, but in part that also is because mine were half off. But for me they are hard to beat as a travel fin for recreationall diving and maybe a tad beyond. There definitely are better fins for tech diving so. I.e. the Eddy fins .... if they are not too light for you.

Wetsuit: Did you buy a suit that fits you and keeps you warm in Canadian lakes? If so, it might be a bit much suit for Bonaire, (which does not mean you could not use it, but I would not bring a 7mm+ suit to Bonaire). Or did you rent your suit in CA and bought a suit for warm water vacations? Either way: Bringing a hood (3mm for Bonaire) or a hooded vest (3mm ish) in addition to a suit gives you a lot of temperature latitude especially for many dives per day.

Thought (not necessarily for Bonaire, most likely you would only use a hood if you actually get cold during later dives in the day):: For CA you'll need a thick hood of course.... and either way, practise Mask clearing also with the hood...

AOW: Many advise, and for good reason, to get some dive practise in before taking that class. And if you could get 20 practise dives in prior to Bonaire, I'd say do that. That said, my son and I went straight from OW cert (well, and Nitrox) to Bonaire. Until then we never dove together (he got his cert in Italy, I got mine in the US). And he was a teenager. Doing the AOW there as the very first thing was a good call. Not only got it both of us to be more serious about being safe w/o dad son friction, it definitely improved our buoyancy . Not sure the Nav, deep and night diving did much beyond also improving buoancy, but it still was quite good as it fortified an understanding for the need of air planning, paying attention when navigating... and it also took the edge off our first diy night dive a few days later. So, overall it was quite good, we did it, even so we might have gotten more out of it in a non vacation setting with less varied participants (and just less participants to be honest) and some more of our experience. But because we went there with a want to learn and get serious attitude (missing in some vacationers) it still was quite good. The Buoancy dedicated part of the class so made the biggest immediate difference.

I'd get gear in that order:
Fins, mask, booties (snorkel)
Suit if you don't like rentals, if you like them it can wait.
DC
DSMB ... and practise deploying
Line cutter from DGX or similar
Light
Your own buoyancy device and I hate to admit it, but a (in that case alu) back plate and wing packs MUCH better than many BCDs. Both dive just fine, but the BP&W offers added versatility... you may or may not need. By time you have pockets on your suit and ditch able weight pockets on the BP&W it still can have a slight price advantage over a BCD (or big if you consider a costly BCD).

Suit/s for the temperature range you dive in. Consider pockets on the suit. If not maybe a pocket shorts overy the suit... You don't need pockets on the suit (legs) if you go the BCD with pockets route and only rec. dive. But if you consider the BP&W route - and you should - a suit with pockets is a fine thing. (and I prefer them even if in a BCD). I wear pocket shorts when in a thin warm water suit w/o pockets. When that wears out, the next one might have pockets...

Agree with what @Dredgy write on AOW, best to get some dives in first. On your equipment questions it is all about what kind of diving you are going to do, what your goals are, and what kind of budget you have. For example if you have a goal of becoming a tech diver or a dive professional that takes you down a path of getting higher end and more rugged gear. If you are going to be an occasional warm water vacation diver then you can get away with much less investment, unless you have money to burn.

Masks with purge valves have fallen out of favor by and large. Remember that a valve is one more thing that can go wrong, even if it is just a plastic flap. Low volume frameless masks are inexpensive and easy to use, just make sure to try on before you buy, fit is most important.

On the computer both are decent computers. The Leonardo is a very basic computer and only has one button for navigating menus and you have to buy an extra cable to download dives if you want to do that, and it does not have air integration capabilities. The D4i has 4 buttons for navigating menus, is air integrated if you buy the Suunto transmitter but still requires an optional cable to download dives, and it is smaller than a Leonardo so it could be worn as a watch. Both use the RGBM algorithm which can be very conservative.

When looking for a computer start it’s what you want it to do. Common features that differentiate computers are: air integration, Bluetooth vs cable, size/form, algorithm used, rechargeable vs user replaceable batteries, color vs led screens, and at the higher end advanced gas management with multiple gases.

Welcome to the board.
Proper fitting gear is important as is the choosing the proper type. The cold lakes of Canada require a greater thickness of wetsuit than the warm waters (80f/27C) of Boniare. Being too hot is almost as bad as too cold. You might want to consider a lighter wetsuit (assuming you have a thick one for the lakes), most rental gear is not great quality and often times finding a good fitting one is difficult.
As for the computer, for a beginning diver, a simple wrist variety that includes nitrox is fine. Find one that is easy for you to operate and you like the display layout. High end computers offer more features but as a new diver you will likely not need those features for many years.
I don't care for purge mask but to each his own. They do tend to be a bit larger in size which may make it difficult to find one that fits you correctly. The golden rule for buying a mask is DOES IT FIT YOU, everything else is way down the priority list. HI highly recommend you not buy it on line but rather go to every dive shop you can find, try on every model they have until you find the best one for you. Forget about price, style or color until you find the perfect fit.
Fins are another personal choice, fit is important with them too. Going to Bonaire, you will want booties with HARD soles, the soft sock like ones are not suitable for Bonaire shore diving. Buy the booties first then buy the fins to fit them.

drrich2 has recently done a very good write up on Bonaire you should read My Research Note For Bonaire
I would not suggest any course at this time except maybe a Peak Performance buoyancy. You need some time just diving and polishing your skills. AOW really doesn't do that much except to introduce you to some slightly more advanced diving...deep, night and the like. As a beginning diver, your time and money are better spent on experience. At least that is my opinion having DMed a lot of AOW classes. Get in more bottom time in, then do AOW, maybe on your next trip to Bonaire.
Now to be buddy question. Given your experience, buddy selection is a bit difficult. You should not be paired with a new diver but at the same time, unless they are aware of your diving, it's not fair to an experienced diver to have to watch out for you, they have paid a lot of money to dive, not to watch someone else. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to help new divers, many of us do, that's the reason we became instructors and DMs and if I know up front and have agreed to dive with you I am all for it. At least for me diving with a new inexperienced buddy, my DM kicks in and I spend most of the dive just watching you. That said, seeing the wide eyed expression on a new divers face seeing the underwater world is very rewarding.
This would be my suggestions. First try to find a local buddy to travel with you...maybe your dive shop has a trip going to Bonaire you could go with. Usually there is a staff member that can dive with you.
If that is not an option, hire a DM for the first couple days from a larger shop on Bonaire then spend the rest of your trip boat diving with that same shop. (Dive Friends Bonaire is a good choice) It is very likely you will meet others on the boat that are willing to have you join them for later shore dives. You might also want to consider joining the web site "Bonaire Talk" and asking if anyone would like to buddy with you . Be very specific about your diving skills and what you are looking for. Obviously caution is necessary but I have found the people there to be good bunch. There may well be someone in your resort looking for a buddy or a group that will be diving the same boat you as are that will invite you to join them......and a thank you beer at dinner is a nice touch.

Sound advice above.

Equipment all around is very personal as to what works best for you. Computer wise go to the shops and play with them. Ask if you can rent/test dive them, the that is easier for YOU to see and use is the right one. Same with fins, most of us like paddle type because they are better suited for alternative kicking frog (my personal favorite) helicopter back etc.

Mask is all about perfect fit I went through several before I found one that fit right. I personally think a purge on one is just a marketing ploy to get more money.

As for advanced I would wait you still have some fears, which is normal we are doing something we are not supposed to he doing, breathing underwater. Get more dives more experience, pratice your basic skills, with that will come more comfort and less fear. Once your more comfortable in general you will get more out of advanced.

Night diving is the best the cool critters come out.

Can I come with you to bonaire? I fit in luggage

I just did my aowd in Bonaire.
Be sure to contact the dive center. I had problems to find a center which hat capacity for an course. Finally we did end up at VIP-Diving and I can recommend it!!
Because they don't have one spezific dive site, you will do every dive on another divesite.

I was very scared about the deep dive. But to be honest, it was just the same as being in 10ft. Just less color :p

I love also did the night dive( you don't have too) and I loved it!!!
2 days before I had my night dive I went night snorkeling. This made me way more confident and my fear was totally gone. Just make sure you don't go night snorkeling alone and get a good light.
After that I did night dives (scuba) every night, these were just the best dives.

I have the cressi Leonardo. It's a good cheap dive computer. If you don't want air integrated, I recommend u go with the Leonardo.

If you got more questions about the aowd in bonaire feel free to ask

Rapha

I just got back from Bonaire, so it is an excellent place to get some experience to advance your diving. The water is warm with great visibility and just about every dive is similar. They start off shallow with a sandy bottom, slowly get deeper to about 30’ or so then it’s a nice drop filled with coral to a bottom about 100’ or so. Definitely recommend taking your adv course there. Gives you experience in different types of dives with an instructor that can assist you in buoyancy and other tips. Buddy Dive resort is excellent, their reef in front of the resort is fantastic, they have full gear rental and a good shop (dive friends also has a very good retail store) and easy if looking for a buddy to dive with. There are a few Facebook pages for Bonaire that can help you getting a buddy.

Then for the AOW... going to Bonaire this winter and was thinking of doing my AOW...not sure because I’m scared of the deep and the night dive. I was thinking maybe doing my rescue, maybe some guided dives and then my AOW.

Rescue is a fine class but for later.

As another poster mentioned, in Bonaire the deep dive won't likely freak you out too much. It's sloping reef, so you do not have a bottomless abyss below you. I agree, the lighting's just different, but probably no thermocline or drop-off in visibility. I find the sense of 'threat' greater at 90 feet at the local quarry than 130 feet in Bonaire (where hit that at Oil Slick Leap, by the way).

As others mentioned, if finding shore diving buddies is an issue, ala cart boat diving (where you'll meet people you might shore dive with) or VIP Diving (where I think they'll take you around) is a good way to go. And if you're taking a class, those dives will have someone with your by definition.

Debating between Cressi leonardo and Suunto D4I novo. Not the same price but thats what I’m asking really, do you thing I should invest less or more to start with?

Don't buy expecting to upgrade soon. Get something you reasonably expect to be happy with for several years. Basic questions:

1.) Do you want air integrated, so the computer shows your gas pressure?
2.) Do you want the capability to download your dive log to your computer, where dive log software can show start & end pressures, calculate your SAC and average depth, keep a record, let you add notes, et...?
3.) Do you want a wrist or a console computer?
4.) I'm foot-heavy in a wetsuit and I think a lot of people are so light fins are a plus, plus spring straps are popular - I, too, like the Deep 6 Eddy fins.
5.) I don't think you need a mask with a purge function, but if that reassures you, fine. Hey, it's not a major expense, if the valve messes up down the road you'll get another one, do what you want to on this one. Not worth stressing about too much.

Richard.

Hello and thank you to everyone that took the time to share your experience and knowledge with me. I am a little overwhelmed but so grateful!

Most of you seem to agree on some stuff. And I will definitely take your advices.

Equipment...I already have 2wetsuits 5mm and 3mm both with hoods...and mask and snorkel, I’ll bring everything plus some booties, great tip! And I will buy those before fins, another great tip. I’ll skip on the mask with purge...and work on my mask clearing skill instead and invest that money in a better DC, probably the Suunto D4I. I would like air integrated but they seem to be really more expensive, but I’ll keep looking...If you have any other advices for a beginner computer let me know. I would like it to be a wrist watch that I can wear during intervals.
For the fins I’ll look at all your suggestions but also I’ll try them on before I make a decision. And that goes for all other piece of equipment I will get! Lesson learned:)

For my AOWD...I will listen to mostly everyone and here’s what I think I’ll Do..Spending 2 weeks In Bonaire, so I’ll do the refresher and the peak buoyancy class, then boat dives on the first week and I’ll do the AOWD by the end of my trip. Thank you for the night snorkeling tip! I thing it will help.
Just a little bit worried that I will slow people or make dive shorter for others on guided dive, but I’ll talk to the dive center and see my options. About that...do you think I should stick with one dive operator? One instructor? I like the idea of having different perspectives...

Thanks to all of you once again.
Your advices will all be helpful I’m sure...some right now, some in a couple or alot of dives! But still, I’m certain at one point in my journey all will become clearer!
Last thing if anyone has some personnal tricks or some exercises for equalizing I would gladly take them!
Thank you again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom