First live aboard pointers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been on two, just got back from my second.

Forget shoes. Unless you have a land excursion, bring the ones you wear from the airport and that's it. I literally went the entire week shoeless... even during dinner. Everyone does the same.

You need just a few shirts, i probably wore 3-4 the entire trip. Basically a tech t for during the day between dives (if you wear a shirt at all) and one or two shirts for evening after you wash up.

About washing up, I suppose this depends on your boat, but on my boat, there were hot showers right on the back deck. I would take a full shower after every dive (i.e. 4-5 showers a day). They will lay a towel out for you so it would be there right after my shower. Cleanest you'll ever be. :)

Bring lots of swim trunks. I brought 8 for a 7 day trip and used them all. You will be changing between morning and afternoon dives and possible after every dive. Plus its nice to have dry ones to put one versus cold/wet ones. When you shower, be sure your suit gets a nice rinse as well so its less likely to smell like vomit mid week. :)

Take care of your ears. 50/50 solution or a bottle of iso to keep them dry. Get your doc to prescribe you some ear drops too just in case. While you are there, get the doc to prescribe you some cipro for travellers cha cha cha and some scopalamine patches just in case the waves get a bit sporty.

Bring some jock itch or gold bond cream. You stay wet most of the day, helps with chafing/monkey butt.

Interesting. I've never had monkey butt and it would seem less likely the more times you change your bathingsuit
But that's just me because I'm very fortunate that I don't have to rinse my ears either. Don't know if it's the shape of my ear canals or just what but I feel blessed.

I don't get seasick either. When seas are sporty, I'm far more likely to need a harness to keep me upright or in my seat or in my bunk.

Now, I'll knock on wood in hopes that none of what was just stated changes for me.

What is monkey butt? I have no problem in that department either. :)

I bring 4 polyester underwears so that I can change the wet one with a dry one right after diving. Then I wash the wet one and hang it to dry for the next day of diving, assuming I do 4 dives/day.

This kind: https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/charged-cotton-6in-3-pack/pid1327426-001

image.jpeg

I bring 4 polyester underwears so that I can change the wet one with a dry one right after diving. Then I wash the wet one and hang it to dry for the next day of diving, assuming I do 4 dives/day.

This kind: https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/charged-cotton-6in-3-pack/pid1327426-001

View attachment 548192

"What Is Monkey Butt? It's the soreness, itching and redness in the butt zone that's caused by fabric, friction and sweat in the seat area."

This can be acquired even if a person is not diving but in a hot country or at the gym, etc.

View attachment 548192
This. If I’m going to be wearing a wetsuit, I don’t want to stuff a bathing suit on underneath. Bring a few pairs of underarmour or similar compression shorts. Much more comfortable, dries quickly, and is easy to wash with some soap/shampoo in the shower.

This. If I’m going to be wearing a wetsuit, I don’t want to stuff a bathing suit on underneath. Bring a few pairs of underarmour or similar compression shorts. Much more comfortable, dries quickly, and is easy to wash with some soap/shampoo in the shower.

EXACTLY! Great minds. :)

EXACTLY! Great minds. :)
Aah, Ok. I was wondering why you would be wearing underwear under swim shorts. You just wear underwear under a wetsuit.

So what's worse, underwear or speedos? :D

Aah, Ok. I was wondering why you would be wearing underwear under swim shorts. You just wear underwear under a wetsuit.

So what's worse, underwear or speedos? :D

Yep, no swim shorts for me. Speedo is worse since I don't shave :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom