Shark attack off Queensland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read a few of shark attacks on snorkellers & swimmers, not as many on divers. Some of the prevention I heard are:
1. Don’t splash around on the surface like wounded fish.
2. Don’t swim in murky sea.
3. Be on the lookout for sneaky sharks.
4. Make yourself large by swimming vertically facing the sharks.
5. Don’t swim away from the shark.
6. Face up the shark and be ready to defend yourself with anything you have, like camera, stick or fist.
7. If the shark bump test you, push it off by the nose.
Any other prevention tips other than staying on land?

I read a few of shark attacks on snorkellers & swimmers, not as many on divers. Some of the prevention I heard are:
6. Face up the shark and be ready to defend yourself with anything you have, like camera, stick or fist.

As a general rule, the most common factor I seem to see is that the victim didn't see the shark approaching.

I heard a story of a Queensland diver that felt he was in danger, overhead doffed his gear, and used the tank against the shark. Unsure if it's a Croc Dundee tale or ...

Don't sharks normally attack from beneath? [Edit ... attack's not the best word! ...]

By any objective measure of risk, shark attack is not something to worry about when visiting Australia. Sure - it sounds nasty, but would it be worse than being mangled by someone trying to text while driving a car (something which is far more likely to happen)?

Now, if you see a warning sign about saltwater crocodiles or box jellyfish, or one that says "Swim Between The Flags", then take those seriously for sure; and be smart about the sun. But "deadly, shark-infested waters" - pffft. I've been a surf lifesaver, and I've swum, snorkelled, and scuba dived with loads of Aussie sharks. In all that time I've witnessed one shark attack, and believe me, the idiot who got bitten had it coming!

By any objective measure of risk, shark attack is not something to worry about when visiting Australia. Sure - it sounds nasty, but would it be worse than being mangled by someone trying to text while driving a car (something which is far more likely to happen)?

Now, if you see a warning sign about saltwater crocodiles or box jellyfish, or one that says "Swim Between The Flags", then take those seriously for sure; and be smart about the sun. But "deadly, shark-infested waters" - pffft. I've been a surf lifesaver, and I've swum, snorkelled, and scuba dived with loads of Aussie sharks. In all that time I've witnessed one shark attack, and believe me, the idiot who got bitten had it coming!

Go for a swim in Cid harbour then.

In Sydney maybe... try, say, Kalgoorlie to Wiluna to Meekatharra, see how many other cars you see.

In Sydney maybe... try, say, Kalgoorlie to Wiluna to Meekatharra, see how many other cars you see.

Generally in the areas of Australia where you seldom see other cars, your primary concerns are if you have enough water in the car in the event of a breakdown and if you have any useful means of communication. I'll still take a swim with the sharks over that.

Generally in the areas of Australia where you seldom see other cars, your primary concerns are if you have enough water in the car in the event of a breakdown and if you have any useful means of communication. I'll still take a swim with the sharks over that.
Not in Cid harbour I wouldn’t. 5 possible bites in the last year or so. For what ever reason it appears to be a bite hotspot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom