BSAC Accident Logs 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been informed that this is a wonderful site

HOWEVER...

It is fairly graphic in it's details and may not be suitable for all divers.

NetDoc,
If you're being serious, words fail me.

NetDoc:
I have been informed that this is a wonderful site

HOWEVER...​

It is fairly graphic in it's details and may not be suitable for all divers.
The fatality reports are eye opening, that's for sure, but I think all divers should read them. Some of the details in the reports bring you right to the scene.
I have read the prior years as well, and I always learn something. One of the things is that, when things start to go south, there are frequently multiple issues combined with panic that lead to the fatality.

dbulmer,

They don't need to, I have had people associated with the site ASK me to put that caveat up. I do it on the recommendations of others better aquainted with the site than myself.

Knowing people the way I do, this will probably do more to add traffic to this site rather than discourage it. Everyone loves a train wreck (except the conductor and passengers).

NetDoc:
. Everyone loves a train wreck (except the conductor and passengers).
However, if you're the engineer, you'd certainly want to know about them, the causes and preventions.

Definately worth reading and digesting. Its no different from air accident reports.

EVERY diver can learn something from reading through these reports. "Being scared" isnt a valid reason for ignoring it. They are real incidents that happened to real divers and nobody is immune from that.

Absolutley worth reading, and i do agree that things can definitly be learnt.
But I've had two students come back to me in the past and ask for a refund when they heard of a local diver dying as a result of an OOA situation gone wrong. Even after talking about it for a good hour or so, they weren't changing their mind- So bearing that in mind, not all people will look at this site and admire its contents. Some people possibly will find it somewhat disturbing or upsetting.

But as Doc said, his notice will probably increase traffic to the site!

SF

Having read through some of the incidents, I need to ask if a "second stage incorrectly fitted to the hose" which was discovered as the diver kitted up (it fell off ! ) qualifies as an "incident".

That does seem a bit like looking trouble to bump up stats. Or have I missed something ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom