Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure I'll keep some laughing for some time, but I don't care. I think ensuring that you have a life vest each in your room and wearing it if you leave in any emergency will work better. For $17 and 10 ounces, I'd suggest taking the smoke & CO alarm on any overnight trip, anywhere.
Eh. Not everyone listens, but some do. I bought CO detectors in 2015 as a result of reading your posts. Both tank gas and hotel room.

Although hotel room CO detectors are cheap, tank testers are not. I ended up with a cootwo because it eliminates the possibility of me being lazy and skipping that CO test.

...and I have actually detected CO in one of my tanks since then. It wouldn't have been enough to kill me but I did find some. After confirming the CO, the dive shop revamped their compressor setup as a result.

And life vests were not in the cabins but on the upper deck, as the crew explained to us in the safety briefing.
I remember the life jackets being in the cabinet between the beds, and they are pictured as such on the RSA1 website.

And life vests were not in the cabins but on the upper deck, as the crew explained to us in the safety briefin

I remember the life jackets being in the cabinet between the beds, and they are pictured as such on the RSA1 website.

They could be in both places, once you abandon ship there is no such thing as too many life jackets. The ones on the upper deck are made to deploy automatically when the ship sinks, for anyone who does not have one a already. This may become a problem in a fire, which is why there should be life jackets in other locations.

Although we go on these cruises to relax, anytime you are on a boat you become a sailor by default. One can either learn about the boat and what you need to do to stay safe and help, or rely on the "trained professionals" to take care of you. Kind of like diving.

Diving and Seamanship

Bob

Eh. Not everyone listens, but some do. I bought CO detectors in 2015 as a result of reading your posts. Both tank gas and hotel room.

+1 to @DandyDon; I also bought CO detectors for both tanks (Cootwo) and backpack/hotel room after several threads here. I haven't found any appreciable CO levels in tanks, but wearing the backpack CO detector during a few bike rides surprised me with how close I get to published thresholds when I'm just riding my bike and out in traffic, especially stopped behind some exhaust waiting for a light to change!

And on my last LOB trip, I had small dry bag for a ditch bag that I moved back and forth from my dive station to the room.

Recent events have me checking out the smoke detector links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom