Florida Dive Shop Owner Arrested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida Man strikes again. Apparently he was also robbing the cradle.

Crazy to put such a crappy effort into ripping off the government when the penalty is potentially so high. Makes you wonder what the heck he was thinking.

I've been following this story. The dive shop owners were charged with forging invoices and photoshopping pictures to make it appear that caught a lot more lionfish than they actually did, to the tune of about $10k.

But that money comes from the state of Florida. Not understanding how it came out of the pockets of divers such as me?

But that money comes from the state of Florida. Not understanding how it came out of the pockets of divers such as me?

The state of Florida does not possess one single dollar, that is has not taken from people, like me who pay a lot in taxes!

In addition to that, it’s a “black eye” to divers as a whole who benefit from this program. When budgets come under scrutiny, public perception of fraud can make it hard for elected officials to stand behind this program.

So YES it hurts Divers, our state, and ultimately the environment these Perps were claiming to be fighting for.

I would assume he means your Florida tax money.

So YES it hurts Divers, our state, and ultimately the environment these Perps were claiming to be fighting for.

Ok, well then the dive shop owners aren't taking money from me or anyone else who resides outside the state of Florida. I'm just clarifying the point that is being stated in the first post on this thread.

How is what they did any different from a dive shop owner who doesn't pay taxes on the cash they receive from divers? Or any other business that doesn't report cash on their income tax return?

They are obviously innocent until proven guilty, but if they did this, it is outright theft. They are getting paid for something they did not earn. It sounds like they sent in fake pictures and fake invoices to get their $50 pay.

The state of Florida does not possess one single dollar, that is has not taken from people, like me who pay a lot in taxes!

In addition to that, it’s a “black eye” to divers as a whole who benefit from this program. When budgets come under scrutiny, public perception of fraud can make it hard for elected officials to stand behind this program.

Actually, this case MAY be beneficial to the program if it can be shown that the managers (FWC) were diligent in pursuing fraud. It also probably serves as a good reminder to others to be honest.

It sounds like they were making claims on the behalf of clients on a diver charter business, perhaps? It sounds like they were representing that they were operating a recreational diving charter business, since they reference clients.

This link explains some of the details of that program, not sure if it applies to this situation.

https://myfwc.com/media/16227/lionfishharvestcharterprogramjuly2018.pdf

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom