How to deal with farsightedness for macro shooting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

so, over the years my eye sight deteriorated into a slight farsightedness (about 1.5 on each eye).

While this is a not a big deal in mostly all situations in live, it does pose an issue for UW photography - especially for macro shooting.

Except for a custom mask or a very expensive (but really cool) viewfinder, what are some other options to handle that. I do wear reading glasses but no contacts.

Anyone tips are appreciated.

Thank you.

LASIK or other corrective surgery... to be honest..I can’t think of one option other than those 3..

You could get a premade generic all +1.0 mask off Amazon . That, plus the magnification from the water can help with the nearsightedness, and unless you are diving in conditions with exceptional visibility, you might not miss the slight defect in far focus.

I assume you are using a compact looking at the LCD screen - looking through a camera viewfinder you are using distance vision and many cameras have dioptric adjustments available. Can you use focus peaking on your camera?

Just get lenses added to your mask. They aren't that expensive. All you need is your prescription numbers from your eye doctor. They'll give you that for free. Then send that and your mask off. There are lots of companies that do this and the turnaround is just a few days.

-Charles

I wear glasses and contacts. I use contacts underwater.

Another option: A diver local to here has a neat idea: A go-pro mount on her mask equipped with a clamp to hold a regular glasses minus the arms. It can be flipped up and down - you could use cheap ready made sets for this purpose. That way you don't lose distance vision and only flip down when needed. Reported to be very effective.

Another option: A diver local to here has a neat idea: A go-pro mount on her mask equipped with a clamp to hold a regular glasses minus the arms. It can be flipped up and down - you could use cheap ready made sets for this purpose. That way you don't lose distance vision and only flip down when needed. Reported to be very effective.

Are you able to get us a photo of that setup please?

Back
Top Bottom