Zeagle Recon Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a lot more time on my recons, it is clear that these work a treat for frog kick divers and shovel a lot of water. I also feel that they helicopter well with rails that grab. My previous fins were better flutterers but I barely move that way.

I have about a 100 dives with mine. First tech fin for me so I don’t have the requested contrast of Dive Rite XTs, Jets, Avantis, etc.

I came from some ScubaPro Nova fins which are like track shoes.....I can move like a rocket for a long time with a strong hip-articulated flutter kick but it didn’t seem like I could get anywhere with a frog kick.

Enter the Recon. They naturally cleaned up my frog kick immediately. I still get periodic feedback from dive buddies that I swim fast although I’m frog-kicking at a “forever pace” (and I’m diving a twinset, them in single tank). So, I think propulsion is good. If I need to power my way through some surge or flow, I have to work harder with a flutter kick than the ScubaPro Novas but the Recons get the job done.

Back kick is so-so but that might be operator error.

I think I’m going to buy some Dive Rite XTs in the next month or so to see if they’re as good as Lamar says they are.

I find them as good as he says they are. After owning countless fins I settled on the XTs (medium) for wetsuit diving. I've been using them exclusively for around 2 years now, my quest is over.

I find them as good as he says they are. After owning countless fins I settled on the XTs (medium) for wetsuit diving. I've been using them exclusively for around 2 years now, my quest is over.

My DR XTs should be here next week.

I sprung for a pair after a twinset dive (no deco tins) last week with my Zeagle Recon fins where it felt like they were “mushy”. I could feel the fin flexing excessively and the lost propulsion potential...I just wasn’t getting the forward squirt I was expecting. I know I’m in good enough shape to handle stiffer fins so I’m hopeful the XTs will give me a more precise response to input.

Hopefully they get here in time for my next Red Sea LOB this month. I’ll definitely have them broken in for the December LOB.

My DR XTs should be here next week.

I sprung for a pair after a twinset dive (no deco tins) last week with my Zeagle Recon fins where it felt like they were “mushy”. I could feel the fin flexing excessively and the lost propulsion potential...I just wasn’t getting the forward squirt I was expecting. I know I’m in good enough shape to handle stiffer fins so I’m hopeful the XTs will give me a more precise response to input.

Hopefully they get here in time for my next Red Sea LOB this month. I’ll definitely have them broken in for the December LOB.

Please, after some use give us your XT satisfaction report and review!!

Two dives with the Dive Rite XT fins but thought I’d report back with initial impressions.

I did one rec dive with twinset and liked the extra power the longer XT fin provides but felt a little slop in the fit.

As can be expected when changing one’s brand of fins, booties sometimes quickly follow so I ran to the LDS last night and picked up some hard sole booties (that I needed anyway).

Did a modest deco dive to 45m today to test out several new pieces of kit, namely my new rigging kit for two deco tins, new deco regs and the fins and booties.

Conclusion?

I’m getting excellent results from the Dive Rite XT fins. We surface swam for about 15 minutes to our descent point. Frog kicking while on my back with a twinset and two deco tins was pleasant and efficient. Flutter kicking on my back was good but definitely have to kick from the hip and keep one’s ankles loose....these are powerful blades that require a strong diver when flutter kicking. Single leg/foot helo turns during the S drill required much less effort and felt very crisp. The input to output ‘ratio’ during frog kicks is very responsive and I can feel propulsion all the way through the stroke (whereas with my Zeagles there is a point where the fin simply gives way against four AL80s). When I want to pick up my frog kick RPMs, I hook my deco tins with the the crook of my hand and pull them forward to streamline so I can maximize my kick. I was very impressed with the improved propulsion per kick....just went further per kick with the XTs than I do with my Zeagles.

A good fit with fins is so important and so when it’s good, it really inspires confidence.

Very, very happy with the DR XT fins but am looking forward to see how they feel in another 50 dives or so.

I’ll probably keep the Zeagle Recons for single tank diving....still great fins but they hit their rev limiter when trying to push four AL80s around whereas the DR XTs feel like they were made for that configuration.

Two dives with the Dive Rite XT fins but thought I’d report back with initial impressions.

I did one rec dive with twinset and liked the extra power the longer XT fin provides but felt a little slop in the fit.

As can be expected when changing one’s brand of fins, booties sometimes quickly follow so I ran to the LDS last night and picked up some hard sole booties (that I needed anyway).

Did a modest deco dive to 45m today to test out several new pieces of kit, namely my new rigging kit for two deco tins, new deco regs and the fins and booties.

Conclusion?

I’m getting excellent results from the Dive Rite XT fins. We surface swam for about 15 minutes to our descent point. Frog kicking while on my back with a twinset and two deco tins was pleasant and efficient. Flutter kicking on my back was good but definitely have to kick from the hip and keep one’s ankles loose....these are powerful blades that require a strong diver when flutter kicking. Single leg/foot helo turns during the S drill required much less effort and felt very crisp. The input to output ‘ratio’ during frog kicks is very responsive and I can feel propulsion all the way through the stroke (whereas with my Zeagles there is a point where the fin simply gives way against four AL80s). When I want to pick up my frog kick RPMs, I hook my deco tins with the the crook of my hand and pull them forward to streamline so I can maximize my kick. I was very impressed with the improved propulsion per kick....just went further per kick with the XTs than I do with my Zeagles.

A good fit with fins is so important and so when it’s good, it really inspires confidence.

Very, very happy with the DR XT fins but am looking forward to see how they feel in another 50 dives or so.

I’ll probably keep the Zeagle Recons for single tank diving....still great fins but they hit their rev limiter when trying to push four AL80s around whereas the DR XTs feel like they were made for that configuration.

@NothingClever Thanks for your detailed informative review. If you were doing a single tank dive with the XTs where less power is required, how would you rate you XTs to the Recon and other fins, like the Jet and Eddy fins.

I would think the XT fins with a tidy single tank rig would be over-the-top good. Because the XT’s propulsion seems so much better than my Recons, I imagine you could slow your rate of kick down quite a bit thus improving (decreasing) your gas consumption.

I haven’t driven the Eddys or any of the dozen varieties of jet fins so I’m not much help there.

I can see why you landed on the XTs. They are very responsive.

Back
Top Bottom