How to deal with farsightedness for macro shooting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LASIK or other corrective surgery... to be honest..I can’t think of one option other than those 3..

I belong to the people with far-sightedness of the elderly (presbyopia) that ovelayed my "normal" short-sightedness + astigmatism, that I have since ever...

I would not undergo LASIK surgery to correct for all my vision problems at once, since I use three different types of glasses, produced custom for me (all with correction of astigmatism, but for different purpose). After LASIK surgery I only could have one of the three types described below and I would not feel well:

#1.: When reading, I take special reading glasses. I find them much more comfortable for reading compared to the multifocal glasses that I also have.
#2.: When looking TV (or scuba photos by projector :) ), I prefer the regular far -distance glasses, since I sit in a comfortable TV-chair and look through the lower portion of the glasses (that are reserved for close distance in the multifocal glasses, so I would see the TV screen blurred, when using multifocal).
#3.: I use mutifocal glasses for car-driving (so I see sharp at the distance and both sharp the amatures, when I look down) and for scubadiving (custom mask with glued in multifocal lenses; sharp vision at the distance and also when I look down to the divecomputer, finnimeter or camera screen).

Unless suffering from lens catarct, that demands removal of the native lens, I would think very carefully whether to remove the healthy lenses and end up with a suboptimal compromise. Better think twice...

Custom made masks are available in two versions: (i) inserts for close distance at the bottom (cheaper) and (ii) multifocal (better but more expensive).

Wolfgang

LASIK or other corrective surgery... to be honest..I can’t think of one option other than those 3..

That is what I assumed too. Not sure if I want to go through LASIK just for the purpose of seeing a bit sharper for macro shooting :)

Just get lenses added to your mask. They aren't that expensive. All you need is your prescription numbers from your eye doctor. They'll give you that for free. Then send that and your mask off. There are lots of companies that do this and the turnaround is just a few days.

-Charles

That is likely what I will try. After many attempts, I finally have a trusted and comfy mask for the last year or so and would like to keep that mask and insert lenses.

Another option: A diver local to here has a neat idea: A go-pro mount on her mask equipped with a clamp to hold a regular glasses minus the arms. It can be flipped up and down - you could use cheap ready made sets for this purpose. That way you don't lose distance vision and only flip down when needed. Reported to be very effective.

When I started taking UW videos and photos I used to use a Macromedia flip contraption to use a macro lens on the fly.

Using something similar on my mask would be... well... lets say a good conversation starter. Good idea though.

I belong to the people with far-sightedness of the elderly (presbyopia) that ovelayed my "normal" short-sightedness + astigmatism, that I have since ever...

I would not undergo LASIK surgery to correct for all my vision problems at once, since I use three different types of glasses, produced custom for me (all with correction of astigmatism, but for different purpose). After LASIK surgery I only could have one of the three types described below and I would not feel well:

#1.: When reading, I take special reading glasses. I find them much more comfortable for reading compared to the multifocal glasses that I also have.
#2.: When looking TV (or scuba photos by projector :) ), I prefer the regular far -distance glasses, since I sit in a comfortable TV-chair and look through the lower portion of the glasses (that are reserved for close distance in the multifocal glasses, so I would see the TV screen blurred, when using multifocal).
#3.: I use mutifocal glasses for car-driving (so I see sharp at the distance and both sharp the amatures, when I look down) and for scubadiving (custom mask with glued in multifocal lenses; sharp vision at the distance and also when I look down to the divecomputer, finnimeter or camera screen).

Unless suffering from lens catarct, that demands removal of the native lens, I would think very carefully whether to remove the healthy lenses and end up with a suboptimal compromise. Better think twice...

Custom made masks are available in two versions: (i) inserts for close distance at the bottom (cheaper) and (ii) multifocal (better but more expensive).

Wolfgang

this would probably work for me: "Custom made masks are available in two versions: (i) inserts for close distance at the bottom (cheaper) and (ii) multifocal (better but more expensive)."

Bifocal mask - works great. I can both read my gauges and see things farther than 10 ft away.

prescriptiondivemasks.com

That is what I assumed too. Not sure if I want to go through LASIK just for the purpose of seeing a bit sharper for macro shooting :)

Especially since chances are very good that it will not improve your near vision.

I have seen a diver @John C. Ratliff (?) use this: 10 Bar MF Flip Frame Mask for Positive and Negative corrective

image.jpeg

@John C. Ratliff YouTube Channel avatar shows his mask with flip lens, below

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom