Need a basic harness. Piranha? Options questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving a DSS BP with Pro-Fit harness for years. I went for it instead of the basic harness for the adjustability, but I found I don't actually adjust it. Nor do I use all the extra attachment points it comes with. Add to that the extra dangly bits are kind of annoying and the 1" crotch strap useless and I'm ready to chuck it for a basically standard hog harness.

Looking around, the cheapest option seems to be this Piranha setup for $45 (with my preferred options, including colored webbing:)). I also looked at the DGX and Deep 6. Both are about $10 more and only available in basic black. Is there any reason to choose one of the latter?

Couple of other questions. When do you use belt slides with teeth versus smooth? Should I go for bent versus straight D-Rings on the shoulders? Finally, I've never scootered and don't plan on doing so, does anyway make a crotch strap with a sewn loop at the front but without a sewn in front ring? Or is there some other reason for that ring?

Bent rings @ shoulders. Maybe bent @ SPG.

What makes the DSS harness that much different? In other words, if there are other attachment points you don't like, just remove them. Why buy another harness when the whole idea behind a harness is that they are modular and customizable?

As for the crotch strap, I don't use one on my singles rig, but I still like to have the ring there as it makes for a good spot to clip a spool double ender when deploying a bag, or clipping off my gun or a camera tray temporarily. Especially when I have other things already clipped off and want to keep my rings orderly when task loaded. I only use bent rings, I never could determine an advantage of flat straight rings. I always want to be able to easily clip things off with one hand. I suppose the only spot where a straight ring would make some sense is on the left shoulder, thus allowing your inflator to lay flatter to the harness. Of course if you sling a bottle there then you'd want that to be a bent ring, IMO.

What makes the DSS harness that much different? In other words, if there are other attachment points you don't like, just remove them.
full?d=1572965838.jpg

The big plastic buckles and leftover adjustment strap and ring bug me. Also the round part of the steel D-ring assembly digs into my chest. I don't use the chest strap or whatever else those slots and circles were meant for. You can't really replace all that without pitching the whole thing. Also, the waist strap material is really floppy. I have to be very careful to make sure it doesn't get twisted when I put it on.
As for the crotch strap, I don't use one on my singles rig, but I still like to have the ring there as it makes for a good spot to clip a spool double ender when deploying a bag, or clipping off my gun or a camera tray temporarily.
Thanks for the info, but no camera tray or gun for me. Double ender goes on my right shoulder D-ring. It's not a big deal either way.

I only use bent rings, I never could determine an advantage of flat straight rings. I always want to be able to easily clip things off with one hand.
Thanks. Makes sense.

I only use bent rings, I never could determine an advantage of flat straight rings.

It's a matter of evolution, at one time there were only flat D-rings. It took a while for some enterprising diver to bend one for ease of use when diving. Like anything else divers make their choice on what to use, flat D-rings lay flatter when not used, which is what I use for a couple I rarely use. Others look at them as a a gear solution...

Bob

Yeah...talk about a thousand words.
:D

In my defense, when I bought it, I had never even seen a BP/W in real life. I had gone from a standard jacket to a back inflate and liked the change and wanted something even more minimal. I liked the backplate concept, but I was flying blind on the rest of it. Adjustable straps, chest straps and quick release buckles seemed like a good idea since everything I'd previously dived with had them.

Also back then, if you asked anything about a BP/W here, most of your answers came from DIR fundamentalists who seemed fixated on the length and color of your hose and the size of your canister. Their attitude made it all too easy to dismiss what they said, even if it was the right answer. Thankfully, that crowd appears to have either matured or been encouraged to go elsewhere.

if you decide to ditch those wedge blocks ill buy them from you.

Back
Top Bottom