New member with some minor concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ear injuries are common for new divers. There's no need to aggressively blow through your nose to clear a mask. You are probably right about your self assessment and blew too hard causing your inner ears to expand too much. Just keep practicing. As for clearing your ears, you should begin right when you splash. If you feel pain it's already too late and you risk injury as you will likely be negative and descending. Clear early and often.

The swim test isn't especially practical during actual diving because you'll have your BC which of course will keep you on the surface reducing the energy needed to swim long distances. IMO, the test is also often rushed to complete the goal and results in fatigue before finishing the distance. There's no time limit, per se. You just need to set a better pace. The treading water test is also often not done correctly, especially in a calm pool. Lots of people will kick like crazy to stay on the surface when in reality most people can simply float on the surface using their lungs to generate positive buoyancy. At the end of the day I would not let those two tests get to you mentally; however, it would be wise to maintain a decent level of physical fitness for diving.

Great advice. AFAIK, the instructor didn't really go over equalizing. I'm familiar with it, though, since I recall various methods from my first Scuba trips in PH. Also, we were a pool that was max of 5ft deep. Perhaps, that's why equalization never came up.

Unless your nose was clogged, my guess is that the ear problem was equalization and the not mask clearing drill itself. It just manifested later, or that's when you noticed it. After all, that is just exhaling through your nose, which you do all the time without causing ear problems. You even sneeze.

Take extra care and work on equalization - early and often. There are lots of tips and tricks and what works well for one person isn't always the best for another, but you'll get there. That's what I'd focus on. I doubt your clearing technique had anything to do with it.

Don't worry about the swimming. It isn't a race. If you feel like you need a little swimming instruction, I'm sure your instructor can point you in the right direction. A little technique and, just as important, finding a pace that doesn't blow you out, will make all the difference.

I'm not sure, I don't really remember specifically attempting to equalize, but I appreciate the info. As mentioned above. I don't think the instructor discussed it, but it may have happened while I was submerged and didn't realize everyone else was above water (I doubt it though). It's still a possibility and the whole equalization thing still confounds me. I do the "pinch your nose and blow gently" and I never feel any pop or have any indication that I've equalized. However, I did this before when Scuba-diving, and despite not having any distintive cues that I had equalized, everything seemed fine.

If you have access to a pool, maybe try swimming on your back as the instructor suggested (once you've seen a doctor about your ears). Go slowly and see if you can do the required distance without exhausting yourself.

I struggled with the OW swim test; I was also the slowest one, and it wore me out. I swam with a freestyle stroke, which I guess I assumed was the way to go, but I know my form sucks and I had trouble getting enough air. I knew this was going to be a problem for the GUE Fundamentals swim test, which is 50% longer and it's timed. But when I talked to some people who had done it, several mentioned doing it in backstroke, so I decided to try that. I easily completed the distance well within the time requirements without getting any fitter. Now I'm trying to arrange some swim lessons to help with the submerged swim portion, since as I like to say, I'm really good at that whole NOT holding my breath thing.

Incidentally, I've also found I greatly prefer doing surface swims on my back rather than using a snorkel. When doing a surface swim in full gear, my posture is more like sitting in a recliner vs. lying flat, and since I have fins I don't need to use my arms, but it's still pretty similar.

This sounds exactly like my problem.. only I SUCK at floating on my back. Like I can try to relax and lay on my back, but my legs/waist always sink like they're made of lead and I end up vertical. Ironically, I can float pretty well if I'm face down. I guess I'll practice trying to kick my legs to help stay afloat, but I feel like my head is centimeters away from going under which causes light panic.

As far as seeing a doctor before I swim again. I don't know if that's possible. I called today for a physical, but they're booked until Nov 22nd. I have to take my next scuba class this upcoming Sunday. Also, I really want to go to the gym and practice these swimming techniques as much as possible before I leave. Is there any health risks involved in swimming before my ears are checked.
ATM, I'm only feeling an occasional "light" feeling of soreness, but for the most part, they feel like they did before the incident.

Is there an urgent care clinic nearby that takes your insurance?

I would say if you are not having pain and can equalize you are probably fine to cautiously try again. But since you are unaware of equalizing that won’t work.

So yes, if you could get to an Urgent Care they could at least see if there is fluid in the middle ear or even watch as you attempt to equalize and see if it worked.

I don't know about other people, but I have to equalize (or before diving I'd refer to it as 'pop my ears') when going up or down a steep road, and when ascending and descending on a flight. You may be equalizing and not realizing it. Some people say they can equalize by chewing gum, swallowing or yawning. I guess I do the yawning motion method, even when diving. I rarely have to hold my nose and blow - and when I do, it results in some temporary ear pain. Keep us posted.

I would say if you are not having pain and can equalize you are probably fine to cautiously try again. But since you are unaware of equalizing that won’t work.

So yes, if you could get to an Urgent Care they could at least see if there is fluid in the middle ear or even watch as you attempt to equalize and see if it worked.

I should be able to get to an Urgent care. It's still not going to be free. I have an HSA plan, so most likely it would come out of that account and be slightly less than it would be paying completely out of pocket. If I did have fluid in my ear, or some other condition, would it be worsened or adversely affected by doing shallow swimming or continuing my dive lessons without getting it addressed?

I don't know about other people, but I have to equalize (or before diving I'd refer to it as 'pop my ears') when going up or down a steep road, and when ascending and descending on a flight. You may be equalizing and not realizing it. Some people say they can equalize by chewing gum, swallowing or yawning. I guess I do the yawning motion method, even when diving. I rarely have to hold my nose and blow - and when I do, it results in some temporary ear pain. Keep us posted.

I definitely feel pressure changes on hills and taking off, but I've never felt like I had to equalize.
I tried the whole 'hold your nose' to equalize while walking around on my break at work here and I may have Felt/heard a very slight "pop" sensation. I mostly just felt outward pressure, but I kept it short and gentle.

I also just now tried the swallow method and it felt like something shifted in my ears.

Are you supposed to be able to feel something in your ears when you equalize on dry land?

It is not unusual to have funny feeling ears after diving, particularly when new (and even when not new with some people). Pressure change can traumatize your ears and they may feel funny for a while.

Are you symptom free now? I'm no doctor, and by all means do what you think is best, but if this passed quickly and your hearing is fine, your ears feel fine, then I think you're probably okay. No substitute for getting it looked at, but "ears feeling weird" by itself does not mean you broke something.

It sounds like you didn't get much instruction on equalizing, which is inexcusable. There are probably a million videos and other resources about how to do it. You should spend some dry land time with your instructor. If you aren't comfortable with what it even feels like, then it's going to be hard to know if you're doing it properly. And, shallow water is where it counts most because the relative pressure change is greatest.

I'll reiterate that clearing your mask should have nothing to do with your ears. You're just exhaling out your nose, which you do every day. Unless your nose was blocked and you tried to blast it out anyway, nothing about that should have hurt your ears. Likely, your ears are just traumatized a bit because your instructor didn't teach you how to equalize.

You need to get proper instruction on that before doing any diving, even in very shallow water. If you're not equalizing in the first few feet of your descent, then equalizing when you get deeper will be even harder and you really can risk damage to your ears.

Swimming? Unless you ruptured the eardrum which I highly doubt, no concern.

Diving? It really doesn’t sound like anything more significant than what most new divers experience. But again, without a visual or successful valsalva, hard to say.

Have you mentioned this to your instructor?

One of the concerns...

Middle-Ear Barotrauma (MEBT) | Ears & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

After getting your ears checked.

I did breast stroke for my OW swim nice and relaxed, it's not a race just a casual swim. For the treading water just lean back and do slow wide arm motions and slow kicking while chatting with others flys right by.

Try and equalize while still on the surface hold your nose descend slowly equalizing every couple feet, if you feel pressure or pain in your ears go up and few feet equalize and resume your descent. This is what works for me.

How do you feel today? Any pain? Discomfort? Feel like having water in your ear that won't come out?

I agree with the poster that said it's inexcusable that the instructor didn't teach you anything about equalizing before you ever put your head under the water.

Please do some reading about it. Ask your instructor questions about it BEFORE class.

First, I want to say that I really appreciate the responsive and concern this community has expressed for condition so far. Even though I've just joined the world of Scuba, everyone I've been seems like "family" or part of a very tight-knit community, both locally and online. So yah, this is great!

It is not unusual to have funny feeling ears after diving, particularly when new (and even when not new with some people). Pressure change can traumatize your ears and they may feel funny for a while.

Are you symptom free now? I'm no doctor, and by all means do what you think is best, but if this passed quickly and your hearing is fine, your ears feel fine, then I think you're probably okay. No substitute for getting it looked at, but "ears feeling weird" by itself does not mean you broke something.

It sounds like you didn't get much instruction on equalizing, which is inexcusable. There are probably a million videos and other resources about how to do it. You should spend some dry land time with your instructor. If you aren't comfortable with what it even feels like, then it's going to be hard to know if you're doing it properly. And, shallow water is where it counts most because the relative pressure change is greatest.

I'll reiterate that clearing your mask should have nothing to do with your ears. You're just exhaling out your nose, which you do every day. Unless your nose was blocked and you tried to blast it out anyway, nothing about that should have hurt your ears. Likely, your ears are just traumatized a bit because your instructor didn't teach you how to equalize.

You need to get proper instruction on that before doing any diving, even in very shallow water. If you're not equalizing in the first few feet of your descent, then equalizing when you get deeper will be even harder and you really can risk damage to your ears.

Hello JG,

Since you've addressed a lot of things here, I definitely want to respond to your inquiries/concerns.

One important thing to note, this all happened in my LEFT ear. My Right ear has had no real issues.

1. I don't have any real pain or issues with my ears today (Thurs). However on Tuesday, I did have a few slightly unusual things occur.

- When driving to work Tues morning, I tilted my head to the right, and there was a slight feeling of "ache" or pain in my Left ear.

- Later in the day, I had a bit of ringing in my ear that lasted a few seconds. I guess I have minor tinnitus that occasionally pops up and then disappears (very rarely, though... maybe 3-4 times a year).

- On a few occasions, certain sounds seemed to be more "piercing" to my ears, like listening to loud sound on low quality speakers. Thankfully, this was all very brief and I believe it was just due to my ears being sore.

Since Tuesday, my ears feel pretty normal, but I did come down with a sore throat out of nowhere ( I rarely get sick) and I wonder if that’s connected to the soreness in my ears.

Tomorrow is my day off, so I’ll probably look into some Urgent Care options in my area and go to one, depending on cost.

2. In regards to not teaching me how to equalize, I think it may have been mentioned in passing during his basic introduction to Scuba, but I don’t recall ever receiving the specific instructions/demonstration, followed by having all the students demonstrate they could do it as he did with all the other exercises, such as clearing your mask. Again, it’s possible I missed it or forgot, but I’m tempted to inquire with the other students now and see if they recall him teaching us any equalization methods.

In addition to that, I attended my first meeting with Mid-Ohio Divers this weekend, which I recently discovered is a local get-together of avid divers, most of them are fans or have some association with the Dive shop I’m going to for lessons. It appears this Dive shop is highly regarded as one of the best, not only in Ohio, but also in North America. I mentioned my instructor and my ear issues to them, and expressed concern over the fact that I didn’t recall him teaching about “Equalization”. Some of the more experienced divers I spoke asked about the depth of the pool. I responded with “5 ft” and they responded saying “Maybe it was because the pool was so shallow, don’t worry, they will teach you when you get to the deeper pool”. In a separate conversation, a female instructor told me that she always teaches her students to “equalize” as soon as they get into the water.

Either way, I will ask him about that in our next session. I may say something like, “Instructor, I don’t recall if you instructed us on equalization, but can you review that with me so I make sure I’m doing it correctly?”

3. As far as how it happened when I was clearing my mask… I can’t really say. I know there was more pressure on my nose than normal breath, since I had mask partially covering my nose + Water pressure around that. Maybe I didn’t pin down the mask correctly with my fingers? Regardless, if this was the cause or not, I know action was the catalyst for the ear issues I experienced.

Last but not least, I discovered another large company that teaches scuba/swimming has a large pool where they teach adult swim lessons every Saturday. If I'm feeling up to it, I definitely want to try at least a few of the classes they offer (I believe they are $20 per lesson) to see I can improve my swimming.

Beyond that, my main concern is making sure this sore throat gets better soon and doesn't evolve into a more serious cold before my big trip to Bonaire!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom