Nitrox - Is it "worth it"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from Bonaire. My daughter and son in law got certified for Nitrox for that trip. My wife and I have been using it for years. Our average shore dive there lasts 80 minutes. We've gone as deep as 100 feet but rarely see 80. One day we did a boat dive and used the air provided. The first thing my daughter and son in law noticed was the far smaller NDL numbers on their computers.

Is nitrox worth it? Well, if you like bottom time yes. If you're a gas hog and blow through a tank well before you get close to an NDL then probably not.

Do it. Although $150pp for nitrox cards seems excessive for something that should be folded in as a chapter of OW class. Many shops give the class for free if you go on their trip, that's often a good way to get it for free.

Personally, I've found I'm less physically tired after nitrox dives - even if I wouldn't have hit my NDL on air. I use nitrox on every dive.

. . .
2) Conversely the shop I was staying at on my recent Bonaire trip viewed Nitrox as an exception. Most of their clients didn't need or ask for it. They were happy to provide, but I was the exception for asking for it. In retrospect, I probably didn't need it either looking at the profiles.
(And yes this directly conflicts with what is reported above - different perspectives...).

That's interesting that the shop you used on Bonaire viewed Nitrox as an exception. I have used Buddy Dive and Dive Friends, and both of those shops (and their branch locations) seemed to me to dedicate the great majority of their tanks to Nitrox. From my admittedly casual observations, I would guess air tanks made up around 5-10% of all their tanks. Dive Friends is a big operation, with a number of locations.

If I recall, some Bonaire shops used to advertise "free" Nitrox, meaning they didn't charge any more for a week of unlimited Nitrox tanks than they did for a week of unlimited air tanks. But I see that at least Dive Friends now charges 20 USD more for a week of unlimited Nitrox tanks than for a week of unlimited air tanks. Per tank, that's still very little. Even if I don't care to do dives longer than I could do if I were diving on air or have shorter surface intervals than I would if I were diving on air, I think it's worth the extra few cents per tank to keep that much more nitrogen out of my body.

My .02 is that nitrox ought to be part of basic OW training these days. My LDS bundles it that way, for good reason.

Whether on a particular dive you want to pay the extra $10 or whatever is up to you, but you'll be in position to make an informed choice. You'll be able to figure out when it makes sense and for many common recreational dive scenarios, you can see significant advantages in conservatism or bottom time, or a little of both if you split the distance. Some profiles, it's no big deal and you can just dive air. You'll learn how to figure which is which.

Ok...so I thought the same thing for a long time (was over a 100 dives before I did it...) as everyone states it will give you longer NDL times. Once you realize the significant difference of time at depth, it's worth it to me. We did a dive where we watched thresher sharks in the Philippines. We all waited on the bottom at 90ft (sand) and just watched the sharks come out and swim about. So, it all depends on how much the minutes are worth it to you. For me, now I never have to wonder...because sometimes you are just waiting and a few extra minutes is worth the view in my opinion.

I also like the extra time for NC as the cool wrecks are deep and sometimes you can do two deep dives if conditions are good and that is hit or miss in NC.

As for shallow...I don't use it (but I do know folks who dive with it all the time). It can be spendy at some places and at smaller dive shops you have give them notice.

Since you mentioned cost being one of the factors for you check out Groupon in your area. A lot of shops advertise nitrox specials on Groupon and you can usually save a little.

I Nitrox whenever it is available because it is objectively better than air for rec diving below the MOD.

The specific benefit depends on the scenario, but even on a very shallow single dive, I still use it. Less N is less N.

Nitrox for me was not what I would call a value. I laid out a lot of money beyond the course because the LDS blends and the tanks must be O2 cleaned, and recleaned every 5 years, post hydro, total cost per tank $110.00 ($50.hydro/$60.O2 cleaning). Originally I did 4 tanks @$60.00 each for O2 cleaning. I used nitrox on 2 dives using the 4 tanks as IDs, which is the only way I can exceed NDL, double tanks. Didn't use the IDs again because my buddy sold his boat. Nothing about nitrox is worth the cost for me and the diving I do. Tomorrow I'll be in 15 - 20FSW using my metal detector. Nitrox, really? Even if I did 4 dives like that what good is nitrox? Maybe next dive I'll be in 10FSW trying to take a good picture of some small critter.

I guess if I go to NC I can use banked nitrox, which is fine until the weather causes a change in dive sites and your MOD changes too. That never happens with 21%.

Back
Top Bottom