Port Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it matters, and if the port had closed for the size boat you were on after you had left the dock, you would have been called back.

Last year we were out fishing across the channel when the word went out that the port was closing because of the approach of a large strong thunderstorm. We were disappointed at having to hook up and run home, but after we had been ashore for 15-20 minutes we were glad we did!
You would be called back, as soon as your divers got out of the water.

I think there are two types of closings, one that shuts down everything (rare) and one that closes the sea to boats under 40'.
Actually - it is MORE common that it is closed for "all aquatic activity" - this is something that we lobbied for, maybe we are finally being heard

Actually - it is MORE common that it is closed for "all aquatic activity" - this is something that we lobbied for, maybe we are finally being heard

I only know half what I'm talking about. If I'm lucky.

Dear Christi,

The 40 ft rule has been in effect for a long time. In moderate sea conditions it may be completely safe for larger boats yet perhaps not so for pangas. That is one of the few logical positions of the the harbor master has taken and you "lobby" against it? Why!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dear Christi,

The 40 ft rule has been in effect for a long time. In moderate sea conditions it may be completely safe for larger boats yet perhaps not so for pangas. That is one of the few logical positions of the the harbor master has taken and you "lobby" against it? Why!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave, as an aside, what weather pattern do you look for in Houston (Galveston?) to forecast a norte? Just curious.

Dear Christi,

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Yes Dave - I've been around for 18 years - I am not a newbie

You totally misunderstood my post - yes for a long time they would open to larger boats as they SHOULD most of the time - then we had the harbor master who closed “for all aquatic activity” anytime a palm frond blew, which was ridiculous and why I personally joined forces and protested at HM office many times over the past few years - finally they seem to be more logical and judicious with port closures and not completely closing the port for everyone -

We lobbied against COMPLETE closures when not warranted (hence my statement that we are finally being heard) I dont lobby against opening it for larger boats.

You would be called back, as soon as your divers got out of the water.

Or before your divers got in the water, depending on when the call was made. Obviously there is no way for the boat captain to tell divers at depth to call the dive.

Yes Dave - I've been around for 18 years - I am not a newbie

You totally misunderstood my post - yes for a long time they would open to larger boats as they SHOULD most of the time - then we had the harbor master who closed “for all aquatic activity” anytime a palm frond blew, which was ridiculous and why I personally joined forces and protested at HM office many times over the past few years - finally they seem to be more logical and judicious with port closures and not completely closing the port for everyone -

We lobbied against COMPLETE closures when not warranted (hence my statement that we are finally being heard) I dont lobby against opening it for larger boats.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Dave, as an aside, what weather pattern do you look for in Houston (Galveston?) to forecast a norte? Just curious.

Dear Chris M,

To predict Nortes and port closures in the fall and winter I look at Houston for cold north winds, then Windguru.com/Cozumel. Normally Cozumel follows Houston by 2-3 days. That is why last Thursday I predicted a possible port closure in Cozumel by Sunday. (see slight Norte thread). Not always does it work out but most of the time it does and I feel some responsibility to this board to give warning when I can. That way some divers may not skip Saturday and miss a day of their dive vacation by planning on Sunday.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks much. I’m actually coming down for the IM and wanted another thing to obsess over, hopefully a Norte doesn’t cancel our swim.

Thanks much. I’m actually coming down for the IM and wanted another thing to obsess over, hopefully a Norte doesn’t cancel our swim.

I'm not working the tent this year but I can't wait to cheer you on WITHOUT a broken shoulder this time! I'll coordinate with your lovely wife to be in her cheering section! Haha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom