Can I wear a neoprene vest on a rashguard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bomberkenny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good day everyone, I have a question that has been troubling me all these while. I dive mostly in the warm water, that's why for most of the time a rashguard is enough to dive even deeper until 30 meters. However there are times like early year where water is a bit cold (26 degree celsius) around 20 meters. So my idea is to have a vest over the rash guard, to keep the core of the body warm. The bottom is just a short swimming trunk. Is this a silly idea?

Good day everyone, I have a question that has been troubling me all these while. I dive mostly in the warm water, that's why for most of the time a rashguard is enough to dive even deeper until 30 meters. However there are times like early year where water is a bit cold (26 degree celsius) around 20 meters. So my idea is to have a vest over the rash guard, to keep the core of the body warm. The bottom is just a short swimming trunk. Is this a silly idea?
I always wear my rashguard top under my 3 mm shortie wetsuit.
Two benefits:
  • It keeps my arms from getting sunburned
  • It spares my divemates from seeing acres of white flesh during the SI

Not silly at all. Anything you do to keep yourself warm and protect against stings, abrasions, etc. is a good idea. I actually wear a dive skin with a Shark Skin under it and that keeps me plenty toasty in the Caribbean. And I've seen people do exactly what you're talking about.

I do it often, generally a hooded vest over a full skin. Works great and an easy way to add a hood.

Yep, in warm (tropical) water I dive a lavacore vest under a rash guard and O'Neill insulated shorts under board shorts.
This has kept me warm down to 26-27 degrees C. Would probably go with a full length wetsuit for anything below that.

Sure. An alternative is the Mako rashguard. It's got a 1mm neoprene front and back, and I find that it works great for those times when it's a little chilly but not quite wetsuit weather.

I prefer the (FE thermocline) on the skin, rash guard on top. Mostly because I wear baggy rash guards that tend to bulk up under a vest. But any order will work for warmth, so just go with any order you prefer

I wear a 3 mil shortie with a long sleeve rash guard underneath. If I need additional warmth I add a 3 mil vest, usually next to my skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom