Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello fellow divers, I was on the Red Sea Aggressor that caught fire last week.
Thank you so much for bringing us your story. I do hope that you are able to stand firm as you endure possible opposition from this company. Their actions before and after the horrible fire were pathetic. I am sorry for your losses, especially your friend.

I would not want to be working the Aggressor booth at DEMA in a week.
If they have the nerve to show up, I wish I could be there to help drive them out.

While it is certainly possible that many, or all, of the crew members on this dive boat were not aware of the Conception tragedy for reasons cited in other posts, I have no doubt that the Aggressor owners and managers were fully aware. Had they followed up with thorough inspections performed by knowledgable mariners, installation/repair of safety/life saving equipment, and insured sufficient crew staffing and procedures for a night fire watch, this horrific tragedy may have been avoided. Unfortunately, the Aggressor management, in concert with advertisers, will continue to try to put lipstick on this pig.
This post id being very SADLY liked...

Hi Ivy I just read your message on Scuba board regarding Aggressor and am
So sorry to hear about the sad loss of your friend. I would like to give you some inside information on Aggressors dealings and would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me confidentially. My email ID is concerneddiver1947@gmail.com. I have details that will throw a lot of light on
Aggressors disrespect on safety or life. Please do get in touch with me.

Fire on board a liveaboard happens more frequently than one might think and usually without loss of life. I am really shocked with what I read..
I think it is good idea to be vigilant on board, ask the guide to demonstrate all the emergency procedures, test the exit hatch, locate life vest in your room, ask crew to test sound the fire alarm, visualize and discuss possible exit scenarios with your buddy/roommate. Most commonly, fire will break either in the galley/kitchen or the engine room, so, prepare for each scenario. There are some good operators that collect all passports to store it in a waterproof case, which is to be saved by the guide/captain first. I also think that most of the reviews are not so critical on safety aspects, so, writing critical reviews will force the operators to increase the safety standards.

Hi Ivy I just read your message on Scuba board regarding Aggressor and am
So sorry to hear about the sad loss of your friend. I would like to give you some inside information on Aggressors dealings and would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me confidentially. My email ID is concerneddiver1947@gmail.com. I have details that will throw a lot of light on
Aggressors disrespect on safety or life. Please do get in touch with me.
Hmmm, first post. Looks like a legal solicitation!

If they have the nerve to show up, I wish I could be there to help drive them out.

I will give them your regards.

Hello All, Trish was her name. She was a spectacular mom and human being. She was a true friend that would never quit on you. She was a bright light with an infectious laugh that brightened every room.
We have two daughters, they are crushed. Our family would like to put our arms around everyone that was there, you have been in our thoughts constantly.
The false narrative that was immediately being spun was so painful for my girls. Thank you all for aggressively correcting the record. It has made a difference at a time when any type of closure is elusive.
I asked the AmEmb Cairo and the FBI to provide you our number. Please call when it is the right time for you. Trish loved diving. I know my girls would love to know the details of that last adventure.
Leaning heavily in The Serenity Prayer.. Thank you All...Be Well

Hello All, Trish was her name. She was a spectacular mom and human being. She was a true friend that would never quit on you. She was a bright light with an infectious laugh that brightened every room.
We have two daughters, they are crushed. Our family would like to put our arms around everyone that was there, you have been in our thoughts constantly.
The false narrative that was immediately being spun was so painful for my girls. Thank you all for aggressively correcting the record. It has made a difference at a time when any type of closure is elusive.
I asked the AmEmb Cairo and the FBI to provide you our number. Please call when it is the right time for you. Trish loved diving. I know my girls would love to know the details of that last adventure.
Leaning heavily in The Serenity Prayer.. Thank you All...Be Well

I know there is nothing that can be said to take the pain away. I am so sorry. My heart breaks with yours. :(

I know there is nothing that can be said to take the pain away. I am so sorry. My heart breaks with yours. :(
+1. I am so so so sorry for your loss.

A couple of posters in this thread have mentioned their doubt that Aggressor crew knew of Conception but I know that it was covered fairly extensively in Singapore, why would I question that it wasn't also covered in the rest of the world, especially countries that diving tourism?
Awful lot of assumptions being made here about what the crew "absolutely knew" based on zero evidence. There's a world of difference between (1) What it covered in Egypt, and (2) If it was, did the crew see the coverage?

Horrific as the Conception disaster was, I have plenty of friends around the world, all divers, who said it was only fleetingly covered in their local media.

And to reverse this notion about who knew what and when, given the Conception tragedy, wouldn't you think EVERYONE certainly in SoCal would be aware of the RS1 fire, especially given the similarity of circumstances? And the answer is, based on my interactions with people, that probably 95% of the people I've talked to in the last few days were not aware of the RS1 incident.

So "everyone knows" is NOT a good assumption IMHO. (But everyone knows that . . .) :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom