Liveaboard Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got my clothes pared down to a bare minimum, but hadn't thought about sticking them in a plastic bag- I just resigned myself to the fact that everything's gonna be wet, but I do like the idea of trying to keep at least something dry.

The little lunchbox idea is growing on me- protection, one centralized location for all my camera stuff, but not so big that it'll take up precious space.

In Raja Ampat you shouldn't have too many rough crossings (hopefully) so you probably won't have to worry about it much. You will not need the cooler bag unless you actually use it for a bag to pack stuff in. On a liveaboard you will not need it. Most resorts will have a rinse tank as well but it is great for day boats where a camera might not have great protection. Most liveaboards give you a camera towel as well, but it is nice to bring a couple small microfiber rags/cloths for yourself.

I use waterproof stickers on all my camera equipment. I have a big Nauticam housing with all the workings and quite often I will be on trips with others who have the same. It saves time when trying to sort things out!

https://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/hanging-cosmetic-bagg-rip-stop-nylon/5733 We have used this bag for 20 years. Super easy to pack and stuff stays secure!

i wouldn't bother with the cooler bag. i shoot a Nikon Z7 with Nauticam housing, strobes/keldans/retra snoots/MWL-1, wide angle blah, blah.

I would never do daydiving without my 48 can cooler bag for a dunktank, but on a liveaboard it's totally useless.

I respectfully disagree. I’ve been on many liveaboards and was just on one (not a budget one by any means so space and amenities were not an issue) and because there were so many large cameras, it started getting really crowded in the camera rinse tanks/bins as well as on the tables. The crew started to have to play Tetris to get them to fit together and rather than risk damaging something, I pulled out my cooler and it was much easier for them to drop it in it’s own thing rather than try to fit it in with the others. They were less stressed about it and other photographers were as well. They were able to also drop others into the provided tanks much easier and everyone was happier.

fair enough, i think that is a fair point and on reflection it's probably wise to opt for the 'better to be safe than sorry'. But this boat does have a dedicated camera room with a separate workstation for everyone's camera and no camera should sit in a dunk tank other than the housing alone perhaps on the last day for a soak before packing up.

but i do concede the point. occasionally dunk tanks have not been large enough for my camera on liveaboards and some boats i have been on in the red sea have had smaller camera tables.

fair enough, i think that is a fair point and on reflection it's probably wise to opt for the 'better to be safe than sorry'. But this boat does have a dedicated camera room with a separate workstation for everyone's camera and no camera should sit in a dunk tank other than the housing alone perhaps on the last day for a soak before packing up.

but i do concede the point. occasionally dunk tanks have not been large enough for my camera on liveaboards and some boats i have been on in the red sea have had smaller camera tables.

My dream camera room on a liveaboard is enough stations for every single person on the boat. While we are at it, plus private rinse tanks. I have yet to see it but a girl can dream!

I’ve discovered the cooler also makes a nice emergency check in bag on the way home should you acquire any souvenirs or have a bag that’s too heavy...perfect for damp neoprene. We have also used ours on non-dive days to run down to a convenience store to grab cold drinks and snacks to bring back to the mini fridge or down to the beach. :)

FWIW, when I suggested a collapsible cooler several posts ago, I was thinking of one the size that I keep my 7 inch dome in, not one big enough to rinse my camera rig in. This is an ideal size to keep all of your little stuff all in one place.

_DSC2899.jpg

My dream camera room on a liveaboard is enough stations for every single person on the boat. While we are at it, plus private rinse tanks. I have yet to see it but a girl can dream!

Damai boats have private rinse tanks for each diver! and a camera room big enough for all the cameras!

And this is what I love about this site- the back and forth discussion from differing viewpoints, each with its own perspective and experience!

@Hoag I think the cooler in your picture is probably about the same size, or maybe just a wee bit bigger than the small lunch bag I use, and, for this trip, is way more practical than my portable rinse tank (which is slightly smaller than an AO 12 can cooler).

We have also used ours on non-dive days to run down to a convenience store to grab cold drinks and snacks to bring back to the mini fridge or down to the beach. :)

^- not gonna lie, one of the main reasons I keep bringing my portable rinse tank on trips (despite its bulkiness) is so I can fill it with snacks. I'm not a fan of airport food, so I tend to pack full on meals when I fly, and my rinse tank/cooler is great for keeping things cool on long travel days :) (if needed, I add ice after going through security)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom