Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

signanandup

Registered
Reaction score
Probably the nth time this has come up, but asking since I dont see a lot of new (and relevant) datapoints.

Which place is better to get open water certified?

I know it depends on the scuba instructor/school, time of year, things you want to do etc. But in case we take most out of the equation including the scuba instructors, is one place better than the other (given its for open water certification) ? If you may want to know, its in November 2019.

Some points I am looking for
- Matters because one place is generally better
- Matters because one place has better reefs
- Doesnt matter since its open water certification and you wouldnt be seeing a lot as a beginner (and focus on skills)
- Doesnt matter since its open water certification and you wouldnt go to deeper waters

I’d go to Coz for many reasons but mostly to avoid the sargassum affecting the mainland now.

+1 for COZ. We've been there twice, most recently last month. You will love it!

+1 for COZ. We've been there twice, most recently last month. You will love it!
Thanks! Any reasons ? Hearing some say it might not matter for open water certification since Coz mostly has better diving at deeper sites.

Thanks! Any reasons ? Hearing some say it might not matter for open water certification since Coz mostly has better diving at deeper sites.
Recommend you complete the coursework and confined water dives at home. When you select your dive operator, request the DM to take you to less deep sites for your certification dives. We've dove with Scuba Club Cozumel both years with new OW divers, mixed experience group of 10+ divers. Friendly and safe operation. I hope this helps.

I’d go to Coz for many reasons but mostly to avoid the sargassum affecting the mainland now.
There hasn't been any sargassum for several weeks now...

Personally, I find Playa to be a better place (not just because this is where I work). Currents are generally milder in Playa, which will allow you to focus on properly learning to dive rather than trying to fight a current. While yes, the reefs are generally in better shape in Cozumel, I find that I see more (and bigger) critters on any given dive in Playa than in Cozumel.

If you want to do your stuff down in Playa, shoot me an email to info@beyonddivingscuba.com and we'll talk more about it.

A couple other things to consider. Most of the diving in Playa you wade out on the beach to the boats where in Cozumel you are getting on at a pier. Depending on who you use in Cozumel some of your training dives could be shore dives. Boat rides to the dive sites are shorter in Playa. If a Norte comes in there is a better chance not getting shut down in Playa.

The type of hotel and what you like to do when you are not diving can influence suggestions as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom