“Stranded (Cayman) airline passengers take to the sea” – but there’s more to this story!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly Cayman should start a Saturday service ferry from CB to LC for a fee of course. I'd gladly pay for it to avoid the twin otter's!

There should be a weekly ferry between grand cayman and cayman brac so you can avoid cayman airways altogether.

One day it will get so bad, people will think about taking the barge.

If it weren’t for the 737 we would not go to cayman brac at all.

When we were on the Cayman Aggressor we did the crossing from Grand Cayman to the Sister Islands and it took several hours overnight and I got very seasick even though we had mild weather - and I wasn't the only one up on top deck turning green!

It's a deep water crossing and if you are susceptible to motion sickness it can be difficult. The Aggressor doesn't make the crossing when the weather is rough and sometimes the weekly supply barge doesn't cross depending on conditions.

But a regular ferry service between Brac and Little is an interesting idea!

I am no fan of Cayman Airways but I would gladly take a 30 minute Otter ride rather than a 7 hour deep sea crossing!

Yeah a ferry is often suggested but not really viable due to the distance and sometimes conditions.

I wish Reef Divers would run a boat or 2 between the sister islands every Saturday, like they have done for a couple special Little/Brac packages. (Or a special case like in this thread.) Offload the problematic Sat flights. Presumably they don’t need all the boats for diving on Saturdays since so many are arriving or leaving. Much shorter distance, though conditions could always still be an issue so maybe not reliable enough.

Fifteen years ago, my wife and I stayed at Pirate's Point in LC. We went on a night shore dive and one of the divers developed breathing difficulties problems on the swim out. We towed him back to shore and another diver who was an ER nurse suspected cardiac problems and said he needed to get to a hospital. They borrowed the quickest boat on the island and took him to Cayman Brach for treatment because it would have taken longer to arrange for a helicopter from GC.

It all ended well. He recovered and even made it back to PP after a couple of days, although his diving was done. And they gave us a makeup night dive during which we saw the String of Pearls bioluminescent mating display which is still the most amazing thing I've ever seen underwater. When my wife and I saw Avatar, we were both smiling because at one point Cameron exactly copied the effect of swimming through this galaxy of tiny colored lights.

When we were on the Cayman Aggressor we did the crossing from Grand Cayman to the Sister Islands and it took several hours overnight and I got very seasick even though we had mild weather - and I wasn't the only one up on top deck turning green!

It's a deep water crossing and if you are susceptible to motion sickness it can be difficult. The Aggressor doesn't make the crossing when the weather is rough and sometimes the weekly supply barge doesn't cross depending on conditions.

But a regular ferry service between Brac and Little is an interesting idea!

I am no fan of Cayman Airways but I would gladly take a 30 minute Otter ride rather than a 7 hour deep sea crossing!

Another comment about the Cayman Aggressor. It was operating off of Bloody Bay Wall most of the week while we were on LC.

Our Aggressor trip years back had been the smaller Cayman Aggressor V but this is the new, larger CA VI.

When we were leaving Cayman to head home we met a couple at the airport that had just gotten off the Aggressor. They both commented about the significant rock and roll motion of the ship. They said that you really swing back and forth while you are on the boat! That scared me because I got so sick during the crossing on the older, smaller (and more stable) CA boat.

The did say that the new boat is gorgeous and the rooms and bathrooms are comfortable and spacious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom